When the oven breaks or the temps heat up, you can’t or don’t want to bake. That’s when you can rely on easy no bake dessert recipes. These are them!
Ready for fun summer nights? I know that our house, the evening is not complete without a bite of something sweet. We are, admittedly, dessert people.
And I don’t really see anything wrong with that.
It’s important to consider hot weather meal planning, and that includes planning some cool and easy desserts!
Why It Matters
It’s a great way to entertain. Who doesn’t love ending a fun evening with a sweet treat? Send your guests home with smiles thanks to these easy no bake dessert recipes.
You can stay cool. Whether you’re trying to avoid Summer Baking or just avoid the hassle of the kitchen, prepping sweet treats without baking is a great way to go.
Save money! Making your own desserts is a great way to save money over more expensive restaurant or bakery options.
Ingredients to Keep on Hand
When you think of no bake dessert ideas, you want to be able to just assemble it, cook it on the stovetop, or buy it already prepared. Think simple and easy!
Keep these ingredients in mind as you plan your special occasions as well as shop for impromptu events:
- fresh fruit – think about what’s seasonal (therefore affordable) as well as easy to serve
- assorted cookies and sweeter crackers, like graham or Digestives
- candies and chocolates, including chocolate chips
- cereals like rice krispies or millet for Coconut-Millet Snack Bars
- popcorn or kettle corn
- nuts, granola, and other fun toppings like Maple Spiced Pepitas
- whipped cream – either in the can or for making homemade whipped cream
- half and half/whipping cream – for making homemade ice cream
- chocolate syrup or ingredients to make Homemade Mocha Chocolate Syrup
- caramel sauce and other ice cream toppings – remember you can make your own Chocolate Magic Shell or Caramel Sauce.
- jam and nut butters
- frozen fruit for smoothies and for making your own sauces, like Raspberry Sauce
- ice cream and sorbet, remember some dairy-free or plant-based options for guests
- sodas, juices, and ciders as well as hot and cold coffee
There are some general categories of no bake desserts that are super easy to serve. Consider the following ideas. Many require no recipe; you can just throw them together!
- icebox cakes – Layered whipped cream and cookies or crackers with a fruit, sauce, or pudding to add flavor and texture.
- ice cream pies – Make a graham cracker crust or buy one at the store and layer softened ice creams and sorbets with your favorite sauces.
- parfaits and trifles – Layer crumbled cake, cookies, or granola with pudding, whipped cream, or yogurt. Add in fresh fruit if you like!
- sundaes – Take ice cream over the top with special sauces, whipped cream, chopped cookies, candies, nuts, or fruit.
- popsicles – Freeze your favorite fruits, juices, yogurts, and ice creams in molds for homemade popsicles.
- floats or Italian sodas – Float scoops of ice cream, sorbet, or gelato in your favorite flat or soft drinks. Think outside the box and include coffee (hot or cold!) and cider or juice as well as the typical root beer and other sodas.
- cereal bars and no bake cookies – You can stir up a pot of Scotcharoo Bars or Rice Krispie Treats or even make no-bake cookies.
- dessert boards – Assemble a variety of fruits, nuts, popcorn, and chocolates for an elegant and incredibly easy dessert.
Check out these 30 easy dessert recipes that require no-baking. You’re bound to find a winner — or five — to dish up this season.
This post was originally published on June 3, 2015. It has been updated for content and clarity.