With the approach of Winter, longer nights, and cooler temps, my mind turns to warm and elegant desserts. What sounds more elegant than serving Salted Caramel Affogatos?
Affogato is just a fancy word for coffee float. A traditionally Italian version would, of course, feature gelato, but regular ice cream can work just as well. The better quality ice cream, though, the better your treat. Tradition would also dictate that you use espresso. But, in the absence of an espresso machine, feel free to use strongly brewed coffee.
Always the skeptic when I experiment in the kitchen, hubs raised an eyebrow when I began to assemble these. But once he saw the finished product, he was a believer. Oh yes, yes, he was.
This dessert coffee is so incredibly easy, you will shock and amaze everyone who sits round your table this winter. Serve them with a few cookies or biscotti for an elegantly sweet ending to a meal.
Salted Caramel Affogato
- 4 cup strongly brewed coffee or hot espresso
- 4 scoops vanilla ice cream or vanilla gelato
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce warmed to drizzling consistency
- 4 pinches coarse salt
- Divide the coffee into four large mugs.
- Place one scoop of gelato into each mug.
- Drizzle the caramel sauce over the creamy foam that forms.
- Sprinkle each with a pinch of salt.
- Serve immediately.