Don’t let that milk go to waste! Use up milk in these tasty recipes instead of pouring it down the drain.
They say, “Don’t cry over spilled milk.”
I say, “Don’t cry over milk about to expire. Use it up!”
Wasting food is akin to wasting money. We can salvage our grocery budgets when we reduce waste. And sometimes you have to be on your toes, keeping an eye on expiration dates so something doesn’t slip under your radar.
How do you use up milk before it goes bad?
There can be times when you’ve got milk on hand that will expire before you can just drink it. Perhaps you’re about to leave on a trip or your people have been under the weather and not up to their usual milk-drinking prowess. Or maybe you find a great deal at the store. Snatch it up to reap savings.
How to freeze milk
- Simply remove about an inch’s worth from the container to allow for expansion once frozen.
- Secure the lid and place the container in the freezer.
- About a day before you want to use the milk, remove it from the freezer and place it on a tray in the refrigerator.
- Once thawed, shake the container well. The water and fat in milk separate so you want to mix them back together.
- Use the milk as you would normally.
How to use it right away
That’s when it’s time to get creative and start cooking. You’ll be surprised at how quickly you can use it, especially when you dive into one of these yummy recipes I’m going to share today.
Many times you can make a recipe with milk then freeze it so that you don’t have to consume it all in that moment. If you’ve got any about to expire, make homemade yogurt, bake up some pancakes, prepare a homemade pudding, or mix up a white sauce or gravy.
Try one of these recipes that are good cheap eats.
These are all delicious recipes that will help you to take care of that leftover gallon. But you know what, if you don’t have the energy to mess with it right now, stash it in the freezer and use it another time. Just be mindful that it’s close to its date.
What’s your favorite way to use up milk?