This recipe for Cheddar Cheese Soup is creamy and comforting. Filled with bits of zucchini, broccoli, and carrots, it’s veggie-packed comfort food.
Soup is one of my favorite things for a go-to lunch. And this cheddar cheese soup recipe is one of my favorite soups, an all-time comfort food for me. When we were newlyweds our landlady made a soup like this often. Since my husband doesn’t like creamy soups, I loved it when Karen made it. Then I could enjoy it without feeling bad that I was making something he didn’t like.
Over the years I learned that I can have my soup and make it the way I want it, too. Once after a bout with the flu, I whipped up a batch and froze the extra.
Lo and behold! Cheddar cheese soup reheats really well in the microwave, making it a real keeper for freezer cooking. Ta-da! I can make a big batch of this soup and eat all I want!
How to make cheddar cheese soup
This cheddar cheese soup recipe will start by cooking your veggies in one pot and then making the soup base in a second pot. Start by melting your butter and the add your garlic, zucchini, carrots, and onion. You want to saute the veggies until they are tender. Then go ahead and add the broccoli and broth.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a second large pot. You will whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or two then whisk in the milk. As it simmers, this will thicken up.
How do you add cheese to soup?
Now time for the best part – the cheese! Once that has been mixed in, add in your vegetable mixture and it’s read to serve!
If I have small containers of soup in the freezer, I can easily have soup any day of the week — all year long. And any kind I like. 😉
What goes good with cheese soup?
It also pairs well with a simple salad like my Quick and Easy Caesar Salad Recipe.
How to make this good and cheap:
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. When I find regular kitchen staples on sale, I buy a lot. I’m currently using a price book to track prices and that’s saving me money. For this recipe, keeping an eye on the prices of cheese and butter can help keep the price down. When I see a good deal on those produce items, I buy a lot and throw them in my freezer.
- Freezer cooking – by cooking in bulk I save time and effort. I don’t need to get take out when I can heat up a small dish of soup that I made my very own self!
How I make this recipe easy:
This recipe really couldn’t be easier than it is, but having the right kitchen tools can really make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. Over time, I’ve honed my collection so that they are perfect for my needs.
Here are the tools that I use for this recipe:
Vegetable Cheddar Cheese Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 zucchini shredded
- 1 carrots peeled and shredded
- 1/2 onion grated
- 1 head broccoli chopped into mini florets
- 3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 cup milk
- 8 oz cheddar cheese (shredded) (2 cups)
- In large saucepot, melt butter. Add garlic, zucchini, carrots, and onion. Saute until veggies are tender. Stir in broccoli and broth. Simmer until broccoli is tender.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in large pot. Whisk in flour and cook for a minute or two. Whisk in milk until smooth. Simmer until thickened.
- Whisk in cheddar cheese. Incorporate vegetable mixture into cheese sauce, whisking until smooth.
- Serve immediately.