Eat good and cheap with this easy, make ahead Rice and Black Bean Salad, packed full of fiber, protein, and great taste.
Beans and rice helped us get out of debt. We ate this economical combination about three times a week when we were working to pay off our consumer debt and right out financial ship. I changed up how I served it in order to avoid boredom.
In winter, they might be served hot with shredded cheese, sour cream, homemade salsa, and a few homemade chips on the side. In summer, they make up this quick and simple salad that fills the belly without feeling heavy.
Rice and beans still make for an easy and economical meal, no matter the season. And this salad is good cheap way for you to eat well without spending a lot of money.
This is a great dish for making ahead. In fact, if you serve hot cooked rice for dinner one night, make double so that you can mix up this salad and stash it in the freezer. Feel free to use white or brown rice, whichever you prefer.
You can vary the mix-ins. My husband doesn’t love corn in things, but a cup of corn kernels would go great in this as well as olives and chopped bell pepper. This rendition is plain and simple, but totally delicious.
Serve this Rice and Black Bean Salad as a hearty side dish or as a meatless main. FishPapa will come home from work and have it for an afternoon snack.
Rice and Black Bean Salad
- 1 ½ cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 15-ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tomato chopped
- 4 green onion chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- black pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Cook the rice according to your preferred method, in a rice cooker or on the stove. Allow it to cool.
- Place the rice in a large bowl and add the beans, tomatoes, scallions, and cilantro.
- In a small bowl, combine the lime juice, cumin, salt, and pepper. Stir in the olive oil. Dress the salad with the mixture and adjust the seasonings to taste.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Make-ahead meals can make your month! Grab this month’s meal plans to take it easy and enjoy great home-cooked meals.