Chocolate Cream Pie gets morphed into a dessert in a jar, a Mint Chocolate Cream Parfait, to be exact. Perfect for your next game day dessert or holiday get-together.
One of my husband’s favorite desserts is Chocolate Cream Pie. It’s a simple pie made of chocolate pudding, cooked on the stove, and then laid on a a chocolate cookie crust. Recently, I decided to make his favorite dessert in mint and chocolate, a favorite flavor combination — and in a glass, an easier form to serve to a crowd.
And at our house, every meal is served to a crowd.
Desserts served in glasses or even jars are so elegant, too. Case in point. Much prettier than a pie.
And easier to serve!
These Mint Chocolate Cream Parfaits are easily portable and typically have less chance for spilling, making them an ideal game day sweet treat. Just mix up a batch of pudding and while it chills, crush some Oreos and whip some cream. If you really want to guild the lily, stir up a batch of my Chocolate Mint Syrup. Put the layers all together and what have you got?
A Perfect Game Day Dessert!
Stash them in the fridge, and dessert will be waiting when halftime arrives.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 12 chocolate sandwich cookies such as Oreos, crushed
- 1/2 cup Chocolate Mint Syrup optional
- In a medium saucepan whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder, and salt.
- Add the milk. Turn the heat to medium and whisk constantly until the mixture is well combined and starts to thicken.
- Once it starts to thicken, reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and continue cooking for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peppermint extract. Cover the surface of the pudding with waxed paper and cool to room temperature. Chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- When ready to assemble the parfaits, pour the whipping cream into a medium mixing bowl. Add the powdered sugar and whip until medium peaks form.
Assemble eight glasses or jars. Place a few spoonfuls of pudding in the bottom of each glass. Top with a layer of cookie crumbs. Top with a tablespoon or two of whipped cream. Continue layering the ingredients until you reach the top of the glass. Right before serving, drizzle with some chocolate mint syrup.
- Can be made up to 8 hours in advance. Chill in the refrigerator.
Nutritional values are approximate and based on 1/8 the recipe.