Know what’s better than those Magic Bars with the coconut and chocolate? Making Double Chocolate Magic Bars with chocolate cookie crumbs!
I love Magic Bars. When I was pregnant with FishChick10, I ate half a pan all by myself — in one sitting.
Needless to say, I wasn’t feeling too well that afternoon when I went in for my OB check-up. And Dr. Arroyo was none too happy, either.
But, he knew exactly what kind of cookie bar I was talking about. Oh yes, yes, he did!
Magic Bars have made a name for themselves as being some of the easiest, most decadent cookie bars ever to grace your table. One of the great things about them is that you can make them so many different ways.
This cranberry cinnamon version from Our Best Bites is what inspired me to try different flavor combos.
(I was surprised that their cooking method is different than the one I’ve always used. Interesting. I like my way best, of course!)
Over the years I’ve made Magic Bars with different crumbs (try pretzel or shortbread!) as well as different toppings. Check out your options here.
For these bars I omitted the traditional nut layer to accommodate FishChick10’s food allergies. I made another tweak in using chocolate cookie crumbs instead of graham crackers and unsweetened instead of sweetened coconut. Perfection!
Not too sweet, just the right combination of flavors!
And, can I just say they taste fantastic, cold from the freezer? Oh my! Bake a double batch so that it’s easy to share.
Double Chocolate Magic Bars
- 1 1/2 cup chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cookie crumbs and the butter. Press this mixture lightly into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and then the coconut over the crust. Drizzle the sweetened, condensed milk over all.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely and cut into squares.
Be sure to check out my 12 Days of Christmas Cookies.