Chocolate sandwich cookies dipped in chocolate and sprinkled in extra deliciousness? Yes, please! Chocolate-Dipped Oreos are a fun, festive treat for any holiday or special event.
Ready for something festive, fun, and super-duper chocolatey? I’m in.
Last Christmas, I treated myself to a box of See’s candy — Nuts and Chews, to be exact. I have such fond memories of sitting around the table with my mom, my grown son, his girlfriend, and the girls, yapping away and eating chocolate.
Chocolate is big around here. Remember the Chocolate Dessert Board?
This Easter, since See’s is closed even for online orders, I’m getting creative with my chocolate desserts. I found some nut and chew bars and some Lindt chocolate lambs.
And the girls and I made Chocolate Dipped Oreos.
Chocolate Dipped Oreos – Sweet Treats for Your Holiday
These cookies are super easy to make and are such a sweet treat to add to your next holiday or special occasion. They’re so easy, your kids can make these cookies all by themselves! And they package up great to give as gifts.
You only need four ingredients:
- chocolate chips
- coconut oil or vegetable shortening
- chocolate sandwich cookies, such as Oreos
What is the best chocolate to use for chocolate covered Oreos?
You can use candy melts if you like, but I prefer real chocolate, particularly dark chocolate. Any chocolate chips will work, however, provided that you don’t overheat the chocolate and that you add some coconut oil or shortening to help it firm up once dipped.
Should I refrigerate chocolate dipped Oreos?
Provided that the chocolate doesn’t overheat and untemper, the chocolate dipped Oreos can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
If, for some reason, the chocolate doesn’t set at room temperature, chill them to set the chocolate and store them in the fridge.
If it’s particularly hot, it’s good to refrigerate them as well.
How do you make good chocolate covered Oreos?
This is a pretty simple process.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave. Stir in the coconut oil and stir to blend.
- Using a toothpick inserted in each cookie, dip the cookies in the chocolate and place them on a piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle with colored sugar or candy sprinkles.
- Once the chocolate sets, store the cookies in an airtight container.
Can I use this chocolate for dipping other things?
This chocolate is great for dipping pretzels, marshmallows, and even potato chips.
Vary the decor to match your holiday.
Since you get to choose the color of sprinkles, you can customize these chocolate dipped oreos (or anything else you dip in chocolate) to match any occasion.
- New Year’s – silver and white
- Valentine’s – red, pink, and white
- Mardi Gras – purple, yellow, and green
- St. Patrick’s Day – green and orange
- Easter – pastels
- Memorial, Independence, and Labor Days – red, white, and blue
- Halloween – orange
- Thanksgiving – orange, red, yellow
- Christmas – red and green
You can also serve these for sporting events and bridal or baby showers. Just match the sprinkles to the team colors or party colors.
Chocolate Dipped Oreos
- 1 10-ounce package dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp coconut oil can also use vegetable shortening
- 14.3 oz chocolate sandwich cookies such as Oreos (36 cookies)
- 2 tbsp colored sprinkles
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl, preferably microwave-safe plastic, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the shortening until both are well combined.
- Slip a toothpick into the center of the filling of one Oreo cookie. Holding the cookie by the toothpick, dip the cookie into the melted chocolate. Allow any excess to drip off and place the dipped cookie onto the prepared sheet. Sprinkle with the colored sprinkles.
- Allow the dipped treats to sit until the chocolate is completely set. Then remove from the sheet and store in an airtight container, layered between waxed paper.
This post was originally published on November 29, 2011. It has been updated for content and clarity.