Sandwich Recipes for Quick Dinners

Sandwich recipes can be so versatile, why not make Sandwich Night a weekly thing? They make for a delicious, quick dinner.

Sandwich Recipes for Quick Dinners | Good Cheap Eats

Reuben Patty Melt

Sandwiches are one of my favorite food groups. Yes, food group. The day doesn’t feel complete without one for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

I’m not sure why I love them so. It could be because of their endless possibilities. Bread, roll, or wrap? Meat or meatless? Hot or cold? Full of veggies or not? Mustard or mayo?

It might be that I know everyone in my family can make a sandwich that he loves, and be totally satisfied. It could be that they are quick to make.

Whatever it is, sandwiches are a hit. And they help you pull dinner together quickly and easily.

Sandwich Recipes

While you might not think that you need sandwich recipes. I would like to suggest that it helps to have fresh inspiration and ideas. While you might want to step off the paths I set before you, my guess is they will get you thinking of flavors that you love and new ways to combine them.

Case in point: See that Reuben Patty Melt up there? I don’t love corned beef, but I do like the toppings that go on corned beef in a Reuben. I also love patty melts. Why not combine the two? Delicious! (You can grab the recipe here.)

Following are some of our favorite sandwich recipes that make dinner not only quick and easy, but also great-tasting!

Sandwich Recipes for Quick Dinners | Good Cheap Eats

Ham and Cheese Foldovers

Ham and cheese enveloped in puff pastry? Sign me up! These are so good. You’ll want to eat more than just one.

Get the recipe.

Pin it for later.

Sandwich Recipes for Quick Dinners | Good Cheap Eats

Chicken Bacon Subs

I can hardly make these as fast as my family can eat them! These freezer-friendly subs are so good for throwing in the slow cooker or oven for nights when you need dinner in a flash. Readers have reported all kinds of delicious customizations.

Get the recipe.

Pin it for later.

Sandwich Recipes for Quick Dinners | Good Cheap Eats

Cheesy Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches

Hot sandwiches are perfect for fall and winter. These rolls are stuffed with sausage, peppers, and gooey cheese for a great, make-ahead dinner.

Get the recipe.

Pin it for later.

Sandwich Recipes for Quick Dinners | Good Cheap Eats

Bacon and Brie Samwiches

These puppies are some of our favorites. Seasoned onions, mushrooms, and bacon tucked into a grilled sandwich with copious amounts of Brie? Um, wow! You’ll want to add these to your dinner roster soon.

Get the recipe.

Pin it for later.

What’s one of  YOUR favorite sandwich recipes?

Tell us in the comments what you love to serve on Sandwich Night.

Be sure to check into my ongoing series, Quick Dinner Ideas, for more ways that you can eat real food without a lot of hassle or expense.

quick-dinner-ideas-sidebar

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

Like you, Jessica, we are all “sandwich heads” here too! They are the perfect food; meats, protein, veggies, grains from the bread, dairy from cheese. What else do you need? And I make all kinds; hot and cold. But one of the favorites that comes to mind is a pizza sub sandwich.

1 loaf ( l lb.) Italian Bread, sliced horizontally
    1/4 cup pizza sauce
    1 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
    1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
    4 slices fully cooked deli ham
    10 slices deli salami
    30 slices pepperoni
    4 slices each deli cheddar, mozzarella, and American cheese

Lay bread halves on a baking sheet. Spread bottom half with pizza sauce; sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Top with green bell pepper, ham, salami, pepperoni, and cheeses; Replace bread top. Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yum Yum and Yum!!!!!!

Note: I find that I usually like a little more than 1/4 cup of pizza sauce and with the lunchmeats, sometimes I add more than what this recipe calls for. Usually when I go to the deli to order this, I ask for more slices of everything except for the salami and pepperoni; that’s enough.

• That sounds delicious! I may need to make that and take some pictures and post it. You won’t mind? 😉

Hi Jessica:

I can’t wait to hear if you and your family liked this sandwich, although, I can’t imagine that you won’t. It’s been a winner for everyone I’ve ever made it for. Of course, post a picture of it. I would be honored even though I found this recipe in an old cooking magazine several years ago. Just watch how long you keep it in the oven. The recipe says 12 – 15 minutes. I have found that 15 minutes is too long and the bread gets too hard so just be careful. Good luck. Please let me know how everyone liked it.

2. Janet says:

When the weather turns cold, nothing beats a gooey grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of hot soup. Our others favorites are deviled ham, sloppy Joes and pulled pork.

• YUM! What is deviled ham?

• Janet says:

Deviled Ham

This recipe can be made up to 3 days in advance and refrigerated in an airtight container (great use for leftover ham)

INGREDIENTS
        •1/2 cup mayonnaise
        •3 tablespoons dill pickle relish
        •1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
        •1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
        •1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
        •1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (black pepper for milder flavor)
        •1 pound cooked ham, minced
        • 1/4 medium yellow onion, coarsely chopped
        • Crackers or bread, for serving

INSTRUCTIONS
        Combine the mayonnaise, relish, mustard, Worcestershire, Tabasco, and cayenne in a large bowl; set aside.

Place the ham in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and process until minced to desired consistency. Add the onion and process, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed, until a thick paste forms, about 1 minute.

Transfer the ham mixture to the bowl with the mayonnaise mixture and stir until evenly combined. Serve with crackers or spread on bread. Refrigerate in an airtight container.

3. Melissa says:

We love ABC sandwiches with a fried egg. Dijon mustard on your choice of bread. Layer sliced apples, bacon, sharp cheddar cheese, and egg. We love it cold or hot off the panini press.

4. Becki says:

I am loving the sandwich for dinner concept lately because we only have 1 night that we aren’t running to practices. Plus my girls usually like them. I usually just cut up some apple slices or carrots and done! These recipes all sound likes ones we would love so I’m pinning these recipes for later!

• Felicia says:

When my daughter brought home the contents of her college dorm room to our basement, she donated to my kitchen a Sunbeam Grill Press. It’s not exactly a panini press, it was meant for indoor grilling like burgers and chicken breasts. But I have saved many $$$ by using this indoor grill for my panini-type sandwiches! It does the job just fine!

Our favorite contains ham-turkey or one of each, some flavor of cheese [whatever I have on hand], a tomato, a flavored mustard and if any salad greens are available in the refrigerator, I add them as well. However, they are optional.

The bread….if I use an entire “whole” loaf of bread, I slice a layer off the top to flatten the bread. I save the sliced layer for bread crumbs. Since that side isn’t as “pretty”, I turn the top slice to the inside of the sandwich. Once buttered, the sandwich then browns more evenly. Allowing the sandwich to rest, makes it easier to cut with a sarrated knife. Enjoy!

• Thanks for pining them!

5. Susan says:

Suggestions for the husband who always eats three (or four) sandwiches? He refuses to eat any sides and just piles more sandwiches on his plate. I find it is almost better to avoid them altogether than to see him consume so much bread.

• That is a tough situation. Have you tried rolls or bagels? Will those fill him up more?