Hot Sandwiches for Cold Weather Days

Sandwiches are a quick and easy meal, great for any time of the day. Consider serving hot sandwiches for cold weather days.

I am a huge sandwich fan. Second only to salads, sandwiches are my go-to meal for quick, easy, and healthy noshing. I’ve even converted my husband into a sandwich lover, mainly by serving up a sandwich bar of great toppings. Getting all tricked out with the fillings is still less than a $5 footlong in terms of grocery expenses.

When cold weather days strike, however, it’s a little more difficult to make sandwiches appealing. We want to warm up both inside and out when there’s a chill in the air. That’s where hot sandwiches can save the day!

It’s unbelievably easy to create tasty hot sandwiches. Here’s how:

1. Start off with bread, any kind.

Sandwich bread, baguette, kaiser rolls, tortillas — all these breads are great for hot sandwiches. Hot sandwiches are a great way to salvage day-old bread since you’re going to toast the sandwich anyway. You can even use one large loaf of Italian bread to cut into portions later, like in the Chicken Bacon Sub.

2. Fill it with tasty meats and cheeses.

You have a vast array of choices when it comes to fillings. However, since you’re going to serve it hot, you’ll want to choose ingredients that taste good heated. Cheese is always a good call because as it melts, it holds things together

Some fillings to consider:

3. Add a spread and other flavors.

Jazz up your sandwich with a savory (or sweet) sauce. Pesto, salsa, guacamole, flavored mayonnaise, herbed butter, cranberry sauce, or spicy mustards all add a little more pizzazz. Some of my favorites?

We also enjoy adding roasted chiles or peppers, spinach, and sliced tomatoes to our sandwiches.

4. Heat it up!

When I was a kid, I called a toasted cheese sandwich, a bird cheese sandwich. Once at age 5 I requested it at a friend’s house; her mother had no idea what I was talking about! Turns out, my mom had laughingly served me burnt cheese sandwiches and I had misunderstood. Clearly, we have a problem with multi-tasking in my family as I have been known to serve “a bird cheese sandwich” in my time as well.

You can heat your sandwiches in a number of ways. For quick bulk baking, simply wrap the sandwiches in foil. Bake at 325 ° for 15 to 25 minutes or you can even toss them on the grill! For stove top cooking, butter the bread on the outsides and toast in a hot skillet. Or for lovers of small kitchen appliances, a panini press does a great job. We’ve enjoyed using this one. I can make two at a time and rarely do I burn them.

Creating a hot sandwich is not a huge jump from your standard sandwich making, but it’s a great way to warm up your mealtimes.

What’s YOUR favorite hot sandwich?

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. “bird cheese sandwich”!!! I love it when those childhood mis-pronunciations hand around =) Grilled sandwiches are great on a winter night!

2. Deborah Jennings says:

What’s YOUR favorite hot sandwich?
    One of our all time favorite hot sandwiches s Grilled Ham and Cheese. We also like a homemade Chick-Fil-A on toasted bread.

3. I would have to say my Italian Subs! My mom made these and now my family eats them year round. http://www.kitchengrapevine.com/resources/recipes-2/sandwiches/italian-subs/.

4. Kristy says:

Ham and Brie – be still my heart!

We were given a panini press for Christmas and we are loving it!

5. Misty says:

We just had Turkey, artichoke paninis (that I made with my George Foreman since I dont’ have a panini press) last night. YUM!

• Jessica says:

You planted a seed in my brain. I had leftover pesto and artichoke from last night’s pizza and put them in a panini today with sausage, cheese, and spinach. Yum!

6. Anna says:

Mmmm! I love sandwiches, too! I like to eat with my fingers, and I like to have lots of options. My favorite would probable be meatball subs or pizza subs, or something with chicken and melted cheese. But I also like to try new types.

7. karen says:

Try adding sauerkraut! A bit crunchy, a bit tart, and super good for you. We also like to add cooked onions. I fill the crockpot with sliced onions, toss in some butter, and in six hours you have perfectly browned onions for french onion soup, adding to sandwiches, or whatever.

• Jessica says:

My big boys love sauerkraut. I’ll have to run that buy them.

8. Virtually any hot sandwich is awesome to me, but I recently tried a turkey, pear and dijon one that I pinned on pinterest. It was such a unique way to leftover Thanksgiving turkey! Lots of great tips and recipes! Thank you.

• Jessica says:

That sounds amazing!

9. Jennifer says:

We just discovered “Long Boys” which is sort of a cross between a burger and a meatloaf sandwich. Yummy and great to do in cold weather in NY when grilling a burger outside is not a doable option.

10. rere says:

yes, i too love your little story of bird cheese sandwiches! i called my grandaughter in and read it to her. she loves toasted cheese sandwiches! lol

11. Moe says:

What’s YOUR favorite hot sandwich?
    Turkey Manhattan,
    2 slices of bread
    turkey
    mashed potatoes
    gravy on top. YUM!!!
    Some call it a Hot Shot others call it an open faced sandwich. Whatever you call it, it’s good!

• Jessica says:

@Moe, that’s a new one for me, but it sounds good!

• Lisa says:

@Moe, this is a favorite here. We have also used roast beef…yum!

12. JENN says:

we love sandwich night and our panini maker

13. Claire says:

Now all I need to do is fix my panini handle. It broke and won’t press down like it should. Oh, with Autumn just weeks away! I am getting it out now! Gorilla glue did not work. I WILL fix it!

14. Mahek says:

I make hot sandwiches often and the most fav ones are by making a vegetable with spices and then use it as stuffing combinations which I love are mushrooms and onions with chilli powder and cumin pd And turmeric pd.
    Potatoes with onions ,garlic and spices garnished with freshly chopped coriander YUMMLICIOUS.!!!!