Living in Kansas City, our family developed a taste for BBQ flavors. I had never had a BBQ sandwich before we lived there. They’re simple to make and very filling. They aren’t best friends for those on healthy diets, but for once-in-awhile, they are a great treat.
This recipe makes great use of the electric pressure cooker. Simply season the meat and and let the instant pot do the work. In just a little while, shred the meat and use as a sandwich filling with BBQ sauce and dill pickles. Delish!
Pork roast goes on sale regularly for less than a dollar which makes this a great budget meal. A huge jar of dill pickles is available at Costco for about $3. And I’m often able to pick up bottled BBQ sauce for free after sales and coupons. If you make your own buns, this can be quite a good (&cheap) eat.
2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast – $2
salt, pepper, and garlic powder – $0.10
hamburger buns – $1.50
BBQ sauce – free
dill pickle slices – $0.25
Total cost for 8 sandwiches = $3.85!
Instant Pot BBQ Pork Sandwiches
- Electric pressure cooker
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb country-style pork strips
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 cup BBQ sauce or more to taste
- 16 dill hamburger sliced pickles
- Heat the oil on saute until shimmering. Season the pork strips with garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Brown quickly, until all sides have a nice crust.
- Add the chopped onion and sprinkle with oregano. Add 1 cup water to the pot.
- Secure the cover and lock the pressure valve. Set the machine for 35 minutes on manual. Use 10-minute natural pressure release.
- The meat should be fall-apart tender. Save the juices for chili, stew, or soup. Shred the meat and moisten with some juices if needed.
- Assemble the sandwiches by placing a generous amount of shredded pork on hamburger buns. Top with BBQ sauce and dill pickles.