Enjoy quick and easy lunches and suppers with these delicious, cheesy Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches.
My kids, particularly the teen boys, love it when there are ready-to-eat, meaty type things in the freezer. They love the Chicken and Bacon Subs as well as the Not Your Convenience Store’s Burritos from my freezer cookbook. I wanted to expand our repertoire, so I created another meaty sandwich to add to the freezer stash.
Feel free to alter the contents to suit the tastes of your household. I love the kick that pepper jack gives to this sandwich, but feel free to change the cheese, add more or less vegetables, or even make some meatless cheese and vegetables sandwiches if your people aren’t as carnivorous as mine.
One of the best parts about these sandwiches is that you can reheat them in the oven or in the slow cooker. We tested this out a few different ways, finding that it’s best if the foil wrapped rolls are cooked on low for two to three hours, turned halfway through cooking. I’ve put them in the slow cooker frozen and not worried because everything in the sandwich has already been fully cooked, you’re just heating them up.
These Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches are quick and easy to make. Assemble a bulk batch and store them in the freezer for quick lunches, dinners, and snacks. I love using the small personal-size ciabatta rolls that I find at Costco.
Cheesy Italian Sausage and Pepper Sandwiches
- 6 Italian sausage links
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bell pepper (any color) sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning Blend
- black pepper
- 12 ciabatta rolls split horizontally
- 12 slices pepper jack cheese
- Place the sausages in a large, nonstick skillet and cook until done, about ten minutes. Add water to the pan occasionally to prevent burning. Remove the cooked sausages from the pan and allow to cool.
- Heat the oil in the pan and add the bell pepper and onion slices. Season with the Italian herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Allow the vegetables to cool.
- Lay out the twelve rolls and place one slice of cheese on each bottom half. Divide the cooled sausage and vegetables among the twelve rolls.
- Place the tops on the rolls and wrap each sandwich with aluminum foil. Freeze until ready to serve.
- To serve: place the wrapped sandwiches in a slow cooker on LOW for 2 to 3 hours, turning once, or bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes or until the filling is hot.