Let your slow cooker do the work this weekend with an easy sweet and sour chicken filling for sandwiches and wraps.
I’ve found that having a plan, and even better, a make-ahead meal, makes for a really relaxed atmosphere in our house. If I know in advance what I’ll be serving and can communicate that to my family so that they can help facilitate or even do all the prep work, life feels calm and peaceful.
I realize that not everyone has seven other people asking them what’s for dinner on any given day. But, still, I think this advance prep would work for you, too.
Believe me, I’m not so organized that it happens every day, but when it does? Wow! I feel like I’m on top of the world. And it’s just one meal!
Today’s recipe is easy, make-ahead, and perfect for game days, mocktail/cocktail parties and really, any time. It cooks in the slow cooker, pretty quickly on high. Last week it was done in less than three hours, making it the perfect winter day lunch.
I served it on Sweet Hawaiian Rolls, but you can use whatever roll you prefer. I thought the sweet rolls went along well with the Asian seasonings, and the size was perfect for little hands. The smaller rolls also make it a great finger food for New Year’s. Go with what you like.
This makes a fair amount of chicken. You can cool and freeze half of it for another meal or simply invite friends over. The filling also goes well in lettuce wraps.
Sweet and Sour Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (chopped)
- 12 sweet Hawaiian rolls
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of a 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine the soy sauce, sherry, rice vinegar, brown sugar, tomato paste, garlic, and ginger. Pour this mixture over the chicken.
- Cover the crock and cook on HIGH for up to 4 hours and on LOW for 6 hours.
- The chicken will be very tender and easy to shred. Remove the chicken and shred the meat. Return it to the crock and mix with the juices.
- Serve on rolls with barbecue sauce, if desired. Chicken mixture is also good inside a lettuce or napa cabbage wrap.
- To freeze: the shredded meat and any sauce can be frozen for a later date. Simply cool and store in an airtight container. Chill completely before freezing. To serve: thaw completely in the refrigerator. Reheat or serve cold.
Have YOU got a favorite make-ahead meal?
Make-ahead meals can make your month! Grab this month’s meal plans to take it easy and enjoy great home-cooked meals.