Summer 2013 Pantry Challenge: Day 1

waffles breakfast pantry challenge

Today was the first day of our Pantry Challenge. Since I had already made a meal plan, it wasn’t difficult to know what we were eating. The kids made their breakfast (waffles and sausages) while I was at the gym and hubs and another child were at the hockey rink. When I got home, I made my favorite Skillet Eggs.

Lunch was sandwiches with leftover lunch meat that my dad had brought with him on Friday. I had leftover fish and rice from Friday night as well. Honestly? It wasn’t a very fun lunch.

For dinner, I made a lasagna and salad. I had roasted vegetables earlier last week and blended them into a sauce. I froze half and that’s what I used for the lasagna along with a pound of ground pork I found in the kitchen freezer. Total rescue thanks to the inventory.

iceberg salad

The salad was a success, too. My dad had left a head of iceberg, not something we normally buy. I chopped it up and topped it with half a can of garbanzo beans, cherry tomatoes, sliced zucchini, black olives, and romano cheese. I used a leftover Lemon Basil Vinaigrette from the other night, too.

Since lasagna is pretty heavy on the carbs, I decided not to bake bread. I’m running low on flour already, so I figure we’ll wait until we really need a bread side dish.

Cleaning out the fridge and making good cheap eats! That’s the name of the game, at least this week.

Breakfast: Waffles, Sausages, Skillet Eggs

Lunch: Sandwiches, Leftovers

Dinner: Lasagna, Salad

pantry challenge sum 13This post is a part of the Summertime Pantry Challenge where we’re trying to save money on food by using up what we have. You can read more about it here.

I’ll be posting daily updates on how the challenge is going. You can read through the PC archives here.

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. You have a gift! Thank you for sharing it with us :)

• Jessica says:

LOL! I didn’t think that I did anything special. What?

• Before i found your site I just cooked food for my family. Now I make meals & a lot from scratch. I never woould have thought to do a pantry challenge. They are amazing! You have taught me a lot thru your site & recipes. That’s your gift!!!

2. Harriet says:

Looks like a total success!

3. Your pantry challenge looks so much better than mine! My kids rebelled from granola bars for breakfast so we had scrambled eggs. Had those too, so it’s all using it up!

Your first day sounded like perfection! Our first day yesterday was easy. Our breakfasts and lunches are always fend-for-yourself(breakfasts: cereal, yogurt, muffins, fruit, turkey sausage, bagels, toast, etc; lunch: sandwiches, salads, leftovers!, hummus w/pita or veggies, pasta–i often make extra to have it already in fridge- wi/sauce, etc). And we had so many leftovers that when we got home from church at 4:30pm, I put out a leftovers buffet. We still have a bit left, but it made a huge dent in the containers in the fridge. Today I’ve been inventorying the freezer and cleaning out/inventorying the cupboards. Almost done, tackling the last cupboard now. And then I’ll meal plan, though I figured out tonight’s dinner already. It’s a little depressing tossing out extremely old items buried in the back, things I know won’t be any good regardless of real expiration dates(some stuff expired 5 years ago, but would have worked a year or two ago, but not anymore). But I need to get through, get it all organized, and start using everything up. Feeling very hopeful that I won’t have to overspend at all this month or even in September, when we are back from a month away. yay!. Now back to work after my blog break.

And, I discovered that I am almost out of sugar! That is one thing I’ll have to buy, since I plan to keep baking and making homemade ice cream.

So I just finished cleaning out and reorganizing the pantry cupboards. Oy. Too many ancient things to toss. what a waste. But now it’s all organized and lists have been made. And I can be a better steward of the food we have and of our $$. Yay! Feels so good. This pantry challenge was the push I needed to clean out. Thanks!

5. Patricia says:

I’m impressed with your creativity in menu planning and meal making for this first day! I’ve stayed close to home and had a BLT on whole grain bread that was in the freezer (the 4 slices of bacon were there also) – dinner is the other half of the slow-cooked chicken breast with broccoli from the crisper drawer (either I eat it or it goes bad and stinks up everything)… I am going to Walmart tomorrow and will buy milk and tomatoes on the vine. I’ve placed my monthly order for groceries (they’re delivered so I won’t buy anything else except for milk and eggs) – I ordered all fruit and veggies but not a lot of everything – just enough to get me through two weeks – then I’ll simply make do or use the rest of this month’s grocery money on any thing else I need. I had to buy the fresh Jersey blueberries at $1 box – normally run 2.99 each. I try to do a major shopping once a month – I stock up on cat food, litter, organic free range eggs (although I’m hoping that my daughter will share their wealth later this month from their 6 chickens), also their gardens will begin to burst forth and so Gramma will get some of the overflow. Crossing my fingers and enjoying this challenge – I told Heather that I would continue it with her (she might need to continue it until mid-September, which would be good for me as I have two vacations to pay for – not much but the grocery savings will help a lot. Good luck – the waffles look great – I had iced coffee and a Ken’s Buckwheat berry waffle with squished raspeberries, strawberries and blueberries.

I’m impressed that you do only one major shopping a month! And a little envious of your daughter passing on her abundance! We have no one that can share with us. I will be taking a break all of August and then working through lots of food we have stashed away through Sept. We might have to exchange emails or something to keep tabs on each other. ;)

• Patricia says:

I find that if I walk into a supermarket, even with a list, I walk out spending over two times what I should have – so I “invest” in my savings (and sanity) by using our shop-at-home feature of our closest supermarket. They charge 6.95 to deliver. One of the reasons I do a once a month is that there is a $10 charge for the “in-store shoppers” who go around and pick up my order. BUT, if you buy over $100 they drop the charge and its only the 6.95 delivery fee. It covers a number of household, personal and grocery items. I use paper plates for the cats dishes – they are tossable and if I get them on sale, its well worth the money not to have to scrap and wash kitty dishes twice a day. There was also a sale on blueberries fresh from Jersey 6/6.99 and that I couldn’t pass up. So you see, it sounds good but there were items that weren’t on my master list, but I noticed either on their website or in their on-line sale brochure. I agree we’ll have to exchange emails after the challenge is over.

6. Patricia says:

Also found a stash of Crystal Light Raspberry-Lemonade mix. Found 6 tubes of 8 containers in each. These are made up in quarts which are perfect for me since I don’t them at suggested strength so I dilute them – rather than 32 oz water, I make them in an old orange juice container and its 52 oz – with ice cubes and a thin slice of lemon in each glass, its so cooling and delish. I’ve found so much in cleaning up the pantry and assorted stashes of cans, containers, bottles and packets!