Ready for a simple, make-ahead breakfast that’s great for on-the-go? These Easy Quinoa Egg Bites are just the ticket to fuel you for the morning.
Love eggs? Got extras that need using? Be sure to check out our recipes for what to make with eggs.
Over the last year or so, I’ve done something I never thought could happen. Lose over 20 pounds.
I know, right?
After years of trying a number of different fad diets, battling thyroid disease, and exercising until I was blue in the face, turns out the answer was in my kitchen.
Increasing my vegetable intake, drinking more water, and toning down my carbs late at night have all helped me get back to where I was prior to my thyroid freaking out. (It was hyper so the meds slowed everything down and I ended up gaining more weight than I ever had in my life.)
One of the strategies I used to keep to my nutrition system was to make sure that I had a hearty, protein-filled breakfast every morning. I alternated between Greek Yogurt With Muesli, Skillet-Poached Eggs, and these Easy Quinoa Egg Bites.
Easy Quinoa Egg Bites
These miniature egg casseroles feature quinoa, eggs, veggies, and cheese. They are a delicious for meal prep and a great way to use up little bits of odds and ends you’ve got in the fridge.
What is Quinoa?
I first heard about quinoa in 2003, long before it was cool. I lived in a rural California community. While we didn’t have a Starbucks, I did have a circle of friends who ground their own wheat and prepared “qwi-noah”.
We didn’t know it was pronounced, keen-wah. What can I say?
I didn’t like it for a long time, but over the last decade and half, quinoa has grown on me.
In case you didn’t know, quinoa is a pseudo-cereal that’s got a fair amount of protein in it. It was considered the “mother grain” by the Incas and is still an important food in South American cooking. Containing all eight essential amino acids, it’s considered a super-food/complete protein.
Besides that illustrious back story, it’s tasty in egg dishes, soups, salads, and chilies as well as a hearty side dish.
After you’ve made these Quinoa Egg Bites, be sure to make these yummy things:
- Quinoa Chili with Three Chiles
- Quinoa Salad to Make You Swoon
- Quinoa Vegetable Salad
- Easy Chicken Quinoa Bowl
- Quinoa Pilaf
For best results, buy quinoa that’s been pre-rinsed. Rinsing is required to remove bitterness from the grain. Buying it pre-washed, saves you the hassle.
Can you use different fillings in this recipe?
Yes! Besides being amazingly addictive, this recipe’s versatility game is strong. Feel free to mix up the cheese, vegetables, and onions with whatever you have on hand.
Consider these flavor combinations:
- ham, swiss, and kale
- feta, spinach, and tomato
- bacon, goat cheese, and bell pepper
Can you freeze quinoa egg bites?
Yes! I love to make a big batch of these and stash them away in the freezer. Prepare the recipe and allow the bites to cool completely. Wrap, label, and chill in the refrigerator until very cold before storing in the freezer.
To serve: reheat in the microwave or allow to thaw in the refrigerator to eat cold or at room temperature.
How to Make Quinoa Egg Bites
This is a super simple recipe that allows you to use up leftover cooked quinoa as well as whatever veggies, meat, and cheese you have on hand.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Assemble your ingredients so you don’t forget anything. Cook, slice, or shred whatever needs prepping.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper
- Add the mix-ins. Stir well to combine.
- Scoop the mixture into mini muffin pans. If you use USA pans, you won’t need to spray the pan. If using other baking dishes, be sure to grease it well.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove to a rack or platter and serve.
How can I make this recipe economically?
This recipe isn’t expensive to make, even from scratch. However, there are things that you can do to make your sweet treat even better.
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. When you see a good price on quinoa, stock up and stash for later.
- Use up leftovers. This is a great recipe for using up whatever you have left from dinner: obviously quinoa, but also shredded or crumbled cheeses, chopped onion, and cooked veggies and meat.
How I make this recipe easily:
This recipe really couldn’t be easier than it is, but having the right kitchen tools can really make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. Over time, I’ve honed my collection so that they are perfect for my needs.
Here are the tools that I use for this recipe:
- stainless steel mixing bowl – I’m not sure you have too many of these.
- silicone spatula/spoon – I have two or three of these – so convenient!
- USA muffin pans – best pans ever. No need to spray and they easily wash up.
- wire whisk – be sure to get one with a sealed barrel so that dish water won’t get stuck in the crevises.
Easy Quinoa Egg Bites
- 4 egg
- black pepper
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa
- 1 head broccoli cut into small florets, 1 ¼ cup
- 4 oz cheddar cheese (shredded) (1 cup)
- 1 green onion chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350. If using a muffin pan that needs greasing, spray it with nonstick cooking spray.
- Assemble your ingredients so you don't forget anything. Cook, slice, or shred whatever needs prepping.
- Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the mix-ins. Stir well to combine.
- Scoop the mixture into mini muffin pans. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove to a rack or platter and serve.