Pull together a quick and easy dish of Cauliflower Fried Rice in just minutes. Made with just a handful of kitchen staples, this meal is delicious and packed with veggies.
You ever have one of those days when you really don’t want to cook? You want something easy and quick. And you don’t want to spend a lot of money.
You might grab your keys and go order from the dollar menu somewhere, or you could…
… head to your freezer.
Sounds crazy, right? You don’t have any freezer meals waiting. And the kids ate the last frozen pizza. So what could possibly be quick and easy and cheap and practically cooks itself?!
Cauliflower Fried Rice
I started making cauliflower fried rice late last winter when I started making an effort to eat more veggies. The first time I served it to the family, they had no clue that they weren’t eating my standard Vegetable Fried Rice.
Yep, it looks very similar. That visual cue can be very convincing. In fact, on another occasion, my husband ate a whole bowl of it without realizing there was no rice in it!
Nowadays, I always keep the ingredients on hand to make this dish. It’s quick and easy and cheap and , like I said, it practically cooks itself! Plus, it’s all veggies!
Does cauliflower rice taste like real rice?
No, riced cauliflower doesn’t taste like regular rice. It has a wetter texture. That said, it is a nice substitute for rice.
Can you freeze cooked cauliflower fried rice?
I do not recommend freezing this dish after it’s been cooked. The textures will be off and you’ll probably have a very soggy end product.
That said, the two main ingredients (stir fry veggies and riced cauliflower) are perfect staples to keep on hand in the freezer.
How long does cauliflower rice last in the fridge?
This dish will last up to four days, refrigerated.
How do you make cauliflower fried rice?
The process for making this dish is super simple!
- Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Empty the bag of riced cauliflower and stir fry vegetables into the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are cooked through.
- Push the veggies to one side of the pan. Add the beaten eggs to the empty side and scramble.
- Stir the eggs into the veggies.
- Season to taste with soy sauce, sesame oil, and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
How to make this good and cheap:
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. When you see a great price on riced cauliflower or stir fry veggies, stock up!
- Make it yourself. While cauliflower rice is now a real thing you can buy at the store — check the freezer section — you may save money buying cauliflower on sale and making your own cauliflower rice at home.
Tools I use to make this recipe easy:
This is a pretty straight-forward dish. You don’t need any fancy equipment. However, having some good basic kitchen tools can really make your time in the kitchen more enjoyable. Over time, I’ve honed my collection so that they are perfect for my needs. Here are the tools that I like to use in this recipe.
Easy Cauliflower Fried Rice
- 1 12-ounce package frozen riced cauliflower , no need to thaw
- 1 12-ounce package frozen stir fry vegetables , no need to thaw
- 2 egg , beaten
- soy sauce
- sesame oil
- black pepper
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Add the riced cauliflower and stir fry vegetables to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are hot through.
- Push the vegetables to the side of the pan and add the beaten eggs to the empty space. Cook the eggs, scrambling them, until just done.
- Stir the eggs into the vegetables. Season to taste with soy sauce, sesame oil, and black pepper. Serve immediately.