Vegetable Fried Rice is a quick and easy meal that you can make with just a handful of simple ingredients. It’s a great way to use leftover rice.
Ever had it where you make too much rice and nobody wants to eat it up? Maybe it was a little dry and overcooked. Maybe you just made way too much. Maybe you don’t have anything great to go with it.
I get that. I’ve been there. Plenty of times.
Nowadays, though? I look forward to leftover rice. I even make extra rice just so we can have leftovers. Not because I want to eat dry, day-old rice, but because I can make fried rice. This Vegetable Fried Rice, to be specific.
Fried rice is just one of those gifts to the home cook. Like French toast and croutons, it comes from humble beginnings, but it tastes amazing. And has you wishing you had more leftovers to use up.
This Vegetable Fried Rice comes together in about 20 minutes. Since you’ve cooked and chilled the rice the night before, all you need to do is add some oil, seasonings, frozen vegetables, and an egg or two. Now that you can buy cooked rice in the freezer section of the store (yes, really!) you can keep the fixings for this dish on hand all the time. You can also freeze extra cooked rice until you’re ready to make Fried Rice.
For these pictures I used a Kroger “stir-fry starter package” that contained broccoli, sugar snap peans, green beans, carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, and red peppers. You can use whatever vegetables you like, just make sure they don’t have any sauce.
It doesn’t hurt to have a bag of frozen potstickers on hand, too. Make your own dipping sauce, and you’re golden.
Vegetable Fried Rice comes together so quickly and easily, it could easily be a regular meal in your rotation or a simple side dish for grilled meats this summer.
Tools I use to make this EASY
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 3 tbsp neutral oil
- 3 cup cold, cooked rice
- 1 12-ounce package frozen stir-fry vegetables no need to thaw
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- pinch granulated sugar
- 2 egg beaten
- In a large skillet over high heat, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the rice and cook, stirring, breaking up any clumps. You want to “fry” each grain in the oil so that it’s its own separate entity, about five minutes.
- Add the vegetables and cook, stirring for another 10 minutes, until the vegetables are hot.
- In a small bowl combine the water, soy sauce, sesame oil, and sugar. Add this mixture to the pan. Cook, stirring for 1 more minute.
- In the same bowl, beat the eggs. Push the rice mixture to the side of the pan and cook the eggs, stirring to scramble. Once scrambled, fold the eggs into the rice. Serve hot.