Like boxed cheddar crackers? You’ll love these healthier homemade cheez its. Made with sharp cheddar cheese and a little whole wheat flour your snacking time just got a whole lot better.
I think I have done it. I didn’t think it would really turn out like I hoped. But, it did.
Yes, yes, it did.
I experimented with a healthier cracker. More specifically, I took the oh-so-addicting Cheez-It and turned it into real food. No more processed, highly colored, preservative-filled concoction, but real, food made with ingredients you can pronounce.
Yes, I am just as surprised as you are.
I took this recipe from Fine Cooking and tweaked it. I didn’t want a spicy flavor and I wanted to avoid nuts due to a suspected nut allergy in our family. I also simplified the recipe immensely. No egg separating from this mama. And I whirred it all together in the food processor.
And the end result? A homemade Cheez It worth writing home about!
This recipe produces a crisp, salty, cheddary cracker that smacks of the “I-could-eat-the-whole-box-but-they’re-so-bad-for-you-Cheez-It.” I hope you like them.
This is one healthy snack your hungry kid (and you too!) are going to gobble up.
Ingredients for these healthy homemade Cheez Its
- Flours – I used a combination of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. Adding in a little whole wheat flour makes these a little heartier and fiber-filled.
- Cheese – For these cheddar coins, I like using sharp cheddar cheese. Of course a mild or medium cheddar cheese would also work. Shred it yourself to save a few pennies.
- Seasoning – To season these crackers a little bit salt and garlic powder is all you need.
- Dairy – Cube up some butter and add one egg.
How to make these cheddar coins – aka homemade cheez its
Normally a homemade cheez it cracker has to be rolled and cut into their typical square shape. But these are so much easier. The dough gets rolled into a log and then cut into coins, or round crackers.
In bowl of food processor, combine flours, cheese, salt, and garlic powder. Add butter cubes and pulse until crumbs are formed. Blend in egg until dough comes together around the blade.
Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Form into 1 inch log. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 ° . Slice into thin coins. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool on rack. Package in airtight container.
Freeze for longer storage.
Cheddar Coins - aka Healthy Cheez-Its
- 1 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 5 ounces cheddar cheese (shredded) (about 1 1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp salt you may want to reduce this according to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup butter cubed
- 1 egg
- In bowl of food processor, combine flours, cheese, salt, and garlic powder. Add butter cubes and pulse until crumbs are formed. Blend in egg until dough comes together around the blade.
- Turn dough out onto a sheet of plastic wrap. Form into 1 inch log. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill at least 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375 ° . Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Slice the log into thin coins and distribute them on the prepared sheets, leaving at least 1-inch space. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Cool on rack. Package in airtight container. Freeze for longer storage.
- Note: Nutrition Facts are based on one cracker