Pantry Challenge Day 2 (Summer 2015)

This is day 2 of our Summertime Pantry Challenge. We’re trying to eat up what we have and not go over budget this month, despite all the craziness we’ve had going.

pantry 2

Today’s frugal highlight was making last night’s leftovers into something new. I made vegetable fried rice with the leftover carrots and rice from last night, and then worked in frozen wontons and potstickers from the freezer. I warmed up the fish, and we were good to go.

Here’s what we ate today:

Breakfast: English Muffins with Jam, etc

Lunch: Leftover Salmon, Vegetable Fried Rice, Potstickers, Wontons

Dinner: Hot Dogs on Homemade Hot Dog Buns, salad with greens from the garden, baby carrots, ice cream for dessert

(The parents went out for date night with a gift card.)

How’s the Pantry Challenge going for you?

Comments

1. Vanessa B says:

Today went well. Washed and prepped the remaining strawberries for easier snacking and quick service. I have already broken the seal on spending but I kept it contained by shopping Dollar Tree. We are hosting a pool party on Friday so I needed party supplies which I am counting separate from the pantry challenge. Purchased bread, buns, flour tortillas and english muffins for the household costing about $6.

I am attempting to use up the “must go” items first. I pulled some old(I mean old) pita bread from the freezer and it appears edible so we’ll give it a shot tomorrow. Canned biscuits were a “must go” so we had those for dinner.

Breakfast- must go oatmeal packets with strawberries and blueberries, one non-oatmeal eater had eggs and strawberries
    Lunch-chicken nuggets, baby carrots, strawberries. I had jazzed up Ramen (no judgment please)
    Snacks-cheez-its and candy ?
    Dinner-biscuits and gravy, last of the tiny bit of hashbrowns from the back of the freezer, eggs and strawberries
    Dessert- brownie with berries

I’m really liking my method of “use it lose it” for this pantry challenge. I’m definitely getting rid of the bits first.

And yes, there are still strawberries left.

2. I didn’t know this was going on, but I’ve been doing it because I HAD to after a trip out of town this past weekend about drained our bank account. I am getting a reimbursement tomorrow, but now I feel like sticking with the pantry challenge anyways! My DD has wonted to go to lunch both days after VBX and today I almost gave in because the kitchen was a mess, but I didn’t! She had leftover rice and beans and chips, which she loved! I once again almost went out to dinner because I was feeling uninspired, but I ended up making rice, some frozen veggies that have been in my freezer forever and added a Lean Cuisine salad addition that went well with it. I pulled out some frozen raviolis I’ve had in my freezer forever to cook tomorrow for lunch or dinner and I have plenty to keep going like this for weeks! But, I’m going to my mom’s for two weeks on Sunday, so I only have to make it through the rest of this week. I may do this same thing at my mom’s as last time I was there her freezer was busting at the seams as well! Looking forward to keeping the grocery bill small this week – I need dog food and I think that’s it! 🙂

Today was a scorcher here in New Jersey. We never get to open the windows in this state. It seems like we just came out of a brutally cold winter and now the heat takes our breath away when we go outside. Either the heat is on or the air conditioner is on. But opening the windows here is not an option, at least not for me.

B – Hubby had another piece of Irish Soda bread from the freezer and a Greek yogurt with a nectarine. I had 2 low fat nutrigrain waffles.

L – Hubby is gone for an overnighter on a business trip so I didn’t pack his lunch today. I had a grilled chicken burger and a side salad.

D – Hubby is not home. I just had a sandwich. I didn’t feel like cooking; too hot and not too hungry.

4. Liz Vee says:

For breakfast we used up the last of a carton of egg whites and the last few eggs from a carton.had some turkey bacon and cheddar toast on the side. For lunch we used up leftover pizza, hot dogs, and a big salad. I also cooked up some eye round steaks in the crockpot with carrots and potatoes to use them up and send to work with my husband for lunches this week. Cleaned out the fridge and threw out whatever couldn’t be saved. Ready to tackle this!

5. B – I made some Paleo biscuits so I had a biscuit w sliced tomato. Ds had chocolate milk before he cut the grass.
    L – ds had leftover-chicken-morphed-into-BBQ-chicken on a bun before we headed to my grandparents to deliver some green beans from our garden. I ate some cucumber and tomatoes before we went out.
    D – Ds spent the night with a buddy so I was by myself in the house – and it was weird!!!! I was starving when I got home so I had chicken tenders.

6. I desperately need to do a pantry challenge but I’m going to only partially participate until Sunday or Monday. Then I’ll go “whole hog.” We have a big family wedding this weekend and lots of commitments associated with that so I don’t have the time or energy to fully do a pantry challenge until all that’s done! In the meantime, I’m going to focus on using up what’s easy: a few premade meals in the freezer, frozen fruits and veg in smoothies, etc. love your pantry challenge posts!

7. Haven’t gone shopping yet even though I made up a few “reasons” that I needed to. Realized I really didn’t!

B-cashew cookie lara bar and some mango.
    L-Salad with arugula and other veggies that were hanging out in the fridge. Made up a salad dressing with greek yogurt and salso. Used the dregs of a bag of Pretzel chips for croutons. Made a protein shake later in the day after my workout using frozen bananas, protein powder, and milk that is going to go bad in the next few days. Am going to try to use that a bunch today (wednesday) hopefully before it does turn!
    D-Teriyaki Chicken Helper that has been in the pantry forever. I’m not a fan of these boxed meals in general but it was there and it made a quick and easy dinner. It was quite tasty too. Used up 1lb of chicken tenderloins that were in the freezer. Also chopped up some leftover green peppers and carrots to add in so they wouldn’t go bad and to get some veggies into the meal.

8. I made up a big pot of beef barley soup. Used up onion that would have spoiled soon, same with a potato that was going to sprout. In general cleaned out the fridge of other bits of veggies and the last 1/4 bag of mixed veggies from the freezer. and one of my tins of tomato paste. Also used a pound of ground beef from the freezer and the last of my barley. Spices from the cupboard. We just had toast and soup for supper and will still have soup for lunch today. It is turning hot here and will be 38C. by Sunday. So will make up some potato salad, and cold jellied salad, and we will have serve yourself suppers. I have taken a half turkey out to thaw and it is going to be cooked on the BBQ. That will give us lots of meat, and cold cuts for the next few days. I also think there will still be soup, for a lunch tomorrow . I will use lettuce and spinach from my tiny garden for salads for the next while and will just add odds and ends from the fridge ( still have 2 cucumbers, carrots, 5 radishes , celery, and tiny tomatoes left in the fridge to use up). I don’t think I will need anything for the next 5 days, then just things like milk. I have a box and 1/4 of cereal in the cupboard that I am using for breakfasts, and 13 eggs and 1/2 pkg. of bacon ( was on sale and I bought several packs and kept in the freezer, so this will leave me one still in the freezer) So one night will definitely be bacon and tomato sandwiches ( haven’t tried it with small tomatoes, but think I will just cut them in half).
    Hope I will be able to eat down the freezer , with just 2 of us it has gotten way to full.

9. Breakfast- scrambled eggs and toast
    Lunch-deep dish pizza on homemade crust, one barbecue chicken and one ham
    Dinner- at a friends, I brought corn and black bean salad and homemade crinkle cookies

My friends are moving and gave me huge bags of Asian cooking ingredients and I already have a new 25 lb. bag of rice. Now I just need my garden to grow do I can make stir fry!

10. Breakfast: homemade bread, orange slices, milk
    Lunch: I had a business lunch; husband and kids had leftovers
    Dinner: Hamburgers on the grill (patties from the freezer), baked beans and the last of the fresh peaches

So far no complaints from husband and kids. This weekend I will be baking up breakfast items for next week, which will probably use up the remaining milk and eggs. Might have to spend a few dollars for milk, eggs and fresh fruit, but not too much. We still have several bags of frozen vegetables to use up.

11. Crystal says:

B- waffles from the freezer
    L- Pasta and vegetables
    D- tacos- used up stuff from the pantry and the freezer!
    dessert- ice cream and cantaloupe
    I thought I would be able to get away without a trip to the store, but the hubs needs to restock his fridge at work for his lunches, so I will have to do a little spending there. Also, I just cant seem to resist all the lovely produce this time of year, and I am just not going to feel guilty about it! Financially we dont NEED to do a pantry challenge(though I wouldn’t mind stashing more into savings!), but we do have an over crowded freezer and a full pantry. So I will cut back where I need to but still enjoy the yummy fresh produce that is available right now!

12. Susan W says:

Our breakfasts are up to each of us — DH eats either cold cereal or oatmeal. I had a ham, cheese, and egg roll-up. I used to ALWAYS eat drive-through takeout in the mornings, and not doing that is saving me about $15-20 A WEEK!! Plus I’m not eating all that unhealthy stuff.

Lunch was leftovers for me and salad for DH — out with his boss.

Dinner was a real treat — our first ripe tomato out of the garden, made into BLTs and homemade pickles. I buy bacon at Sam’s Club for about $2.70 a pound and cook up three pounds at a time in the oven. I wrap each serving in paper towels (which I reuse) and stick it all in a big (reused) freezer bag in the freezer. When we want bacon, we just take a serving out and pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds. It’s awesome!

I anticipate lots of BLT suppers once the tomatoes start coming in regularly!

Love your blog and ideas, and the comments!

13. tastycook says:

Fruit and yoghurt for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, spaghetti and meatballs for supper. An easy day and just a little bit more used from the stash already in the house. Gotta luv it!!!