Years ago when my husband and I were visiting friends in France, they had to step out for a few hours, promising to be home for dinner. We encountered a little culture clash when six o’clock, our dinner time, rolled around and they weren’t home. Somehow we forgot that French diner is quite different than ours.
I knew Michele had started a soup and stashed it in the refrigerator. When I went to investigate, I found broth and some very large chunks of vegetable floating in it. Hubs and I both raised our eyebrows and snacked on bread and cheese instead.
Later I came to find out that Michele was preparing a pureed soup, something that was absolutely foreign to me, one who had been raised on Chicken Noodle that came in a red and white can. A ha. More culture clashes.
Today, I love pureed soups. And since I purchased an immersion blender, I love making them! This soup was as easy as could be. I had a huge store of fresh vegetables and herbs from our produce box. I trimmed them and roasted them with olive oil in a hot oven. Then they simmered on the stove for awhile.
Then the stick blender did its work. Voila! A beautiful roasted vegetable soup, rich in flavor.
A chunk of good French cheese and a baguette would make it a perfect meal. If you’d like you could also add some cooked shrimp on top, but you won’t need to. This is a perfect meal for the cold nights ahead.
Recipe: Roasted Vegetable Soup with Fresh Oregano
- 1 eggplant, trimmed and split lengthwise
- 1 large patty pan squash, trimmed and split in half
- 2 ribs celery, trimmed
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and halved
- 1 cup baby carrots or 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes or 2 medium tomatoes, halved
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 to 6 cups chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 400 °. Place the vegetables on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush the vegetables with the oil.
- Roast the vegetables for 45 minutes, until tender and spotted with brown.
- Scoop the eggplant pulp from the skin and place it in a large stockpot. Add the other vegetables, oregano, and bay leaf.
- Add 4 cups chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer the mixture for about 45 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard. Use an immersion blender to blend the vegetables until smooth. (You can also blend the soup in a blender or in a food processor.) Thin with more stock, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve hot.
- To freeze: cool the soup and store in meal- or individual-sized portions in the freezer, for up to 2 months. Reheat before serving.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4