This creamy garlic dressing with fresh cilantro is so easy to make yourself. In about 5 minutes or less, you have a creamy herbaceous homemade salad dressing that’s perfect for pizza and salad night.
Since the days I worked in catering when I mixed up huge vats of ranch dressing, I’ve been making my own at home. A little buttermilk, mayo, and a few herbs and seasonings are all it takes.
Recently I was out of parsley, so I experimented and created something new. It was pizza night, after all. And we love ranch dressing with pizza. The kids didn’t balk at the new flavor. In fact, it was widely accepted, thus, making it a new addition to our repertoire.
Creamy garlic dressing ingredients
- Mayonnaise – You can use your favorite mayonnaise. It’s add a great creaminess and flavor.
- Buttermilk – Adding buttermilk adds amazing flavor, a great tang. If you don’t have any you can always make your own by using milk and ½ tablespoon lemon juice.
- Garlic – You need 2 cloves of garlic, crushed. You could roast garlic for a bit of a different flavor.
- Fresh cilantro – You can really taste the fresh herbs in this dressing. You will need about 2 tablespoons.
- Spices – I used cumin and black pepper to really round out the flavor of this dressing.
How to make this garlic cilantro dressing
In a small mixing bowl or jar, combine the mayonnaise and buttermilk. Whisk until smooth.
Adjust the amount of buttermilk until the dressing is the desired consistency.
Stir in the garlic, cilantro, cumin, and pepper.
Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve as a salad dressing or dip for veggies — or pizza.
Can I use a different herb?
I get it. Not everyone is a fan of cilantro. So feel free to swap it out with another fresh herb like parsley, chives, or dill.
HOW LONG DOES HOMEMADE DRESSING LAST?
I often make a batch of this homemade salad dressing on pizza night. It’s good for 4 days refrigerated. It mixes up so quickly; it’s a great recipe to have a child prepare.
WHAT DO I SERVE THIS CREAMY GARLIC DRESSING RECIPE WITH?
This dressing goes great with these recipes:
Creamy Garlic Dressing with Cilantro
- In a small mixing bowl or jar, combine the mayonnaise and buttermilk. Whisk until smooth.
- Adjust the amount of buttermilk until the dressing is the desired consistency.
- Stir in the garlic, cilantro, cumin, and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve as a salad dressing or dip for veggies — or pizza.