Kitchen Tip Tuesday: Use a Cookie Sheet for a Pan Lid

Use a cookie sheet for a pan lid.

Sometimes it takes me awhile to figure things out. For years I’ve been meaning to invest in a large skillet WITH a lid. I’ve had large skillets. And I’ve had small skillets with lids. But, I’ve never had a large skillet with a lid.

Until now.

It didn’t cost me a penny. In fact, turns out I always had a pan lid for my large skillet. I have always had numerous cookie sheets. Why did I never think to use one to cover my pan before?

Instead, I’ve often wasted aluminum foil to get a makeshift seal. No longer! Now I’m using cookie sheets.

Please note: cookie sheets get hot. Use a hot pad. Condensation may build up on the bottom of the cookie sheet as well, so please take care before you drip hot water on your bare feet. Just saying.

Today I’m guest hosting for Kitchen Tip Tuesday while Tammy visits family. Feel free to leave the link to your favorite Kitchen Tip below. As a courtesy, please link back to this post in your post as well.

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. Thanks so much for hosting today! I use a cookie sheet in the oven to top baking casserole dishes, though I had not thought to try that on the stove. Great idea.

2. what a great tip! any ideas for a homemade splatter screen for the stovetop? that’s my nemesis…

• Jessica says:

@sarah k @ the pajama chef, I’ve never owned one of those either. Do you use it for frying?

• @Jessica, no but i have friends who use it for frying or sauteing so the oil splatter doesn’t get on them or the kitchen. it’s probably just some unnecessary but nice to have thing… i’ve seen them at discount stores for $10-12 but it just seems like alot for a piece of mesh and a handle. 🙂

3. KimH says:

Seriously? Do you have a round pizza pan? That would fit great on a pan without the chance of accidentally getting knocked around so much.. but heck.. head to Goodwill if you can bring yourself to buy a pan with a tight fitting lid. Shesh. I cant imagine such a thing..

One of my favorite kitchen tips is when my sorta-grands come to visit & want to “help me wash dishes”, do as my grandmother used to do with me when i wanted to “help”. Grab a bib apron, and put a plastic bag underneath pinned with paper clips to the backside of the apron to keep the kiddies from getting soaked.
    I know I always made a watery mess, as do my sorta-grands, but it keeps their clothes nice & dry.

4. I use cookie sheets, my pizza stone, and have even inverted a second skillet over another when I needed a lid. If I could get all my ducks in a row I’d have a lid for my smaller skillets.

5. Sheila says:

We found out a couple years ago that pizza pans work great. I have a very large stir fry pan, and my hubby grabbed our large pizza pan one night to keep things warm. I thought he was a genius I’ve never thought to do that. We make homemade pizza almost weekly, so no money spent on our lid either. The pizza pan gets hot and has the same problem with condensation, but it works well.

• Jessica says:

@Sheila, that is a great idea. My pizza pans, however, are perforated. LOL

6. Danielle says:

I’ve found that the lid from my largest stockpot works great on almost all my skillets.

• Jessica says:

@Danielle, I wish. In order to fry enough to feed our family, I have a ginormous skillet that is much wider than any pot I own. Wait…. canning pot lid might work. Thanks for the inspiration.

7. Lorie says:

Thanks for the idea. I never thought about using a cookie sheet.

8. Anna says:

Great idea! I have a 14″ paella pan that I LOVE to cook in. When I need a lid, I grab a large pizza pan. Besides being handy & free, it also saves a lot of room in the cupboard. Can you imagine how much room a 14″ pan with a handle and a rim would take?