You probably don’t think you need a cheeseburger recipe, they’re so easy, but my guess is you’d be wrong. Try this smoky, cheesy, packed-full-of-flavor burger at your next barbecue and see why.
Cheeseburgers are one of my very favorite foods to order at a restaurant or cook on the grill. They are the epitome of summer time and cooking out of doors. My favorite combines tender grilled onions with gooey melted cheese. That’s how I order it out; that’s how I make it at home.
This particular burger, a barbecue bacon burger features those same grilled onions and pepper jack cheese. Topped with homemade, naturally sweetened BBQ sauce and laden with bits of smoky bacon, it’s the ultimate example of cheeseburger perfection. And it couldn’t be easier to make.
I have a couple tricks to making this BBQ cheeseburger quick and easy:
- I prep a bunch of burger patties at one time and stash them in the freezer.
- I keep my favorite custom seasoning blends on hand for instant flavor.
- I stir up a big batch of homemade BBQ sauce and store it in small containers in the freezer.
- I buy pre-cooked bacon to store in the freezer for a quick dash of smoky, bacon-y goodness.
That last bit may take you by surprise. It did me. Previously, I had thought pre-cooked bacon to be expensive and not very tasty. We tried it at my in-laws, however, and were pleasantly surprised. FishPapa priced it out; when you factor in cooking off the bacon grease, it’s a decent price to buy it pre-cooked. The convenience and time-savings compensate for the slightly higher per unit cost. Trader Joe’s sells their own uncured, pre-cooked bacon, so you really can have the best of both worlds.
I chop up a few pieces and add it to a sliced onion in a hot skillet. The bacon renders a little moisture in juice and a scant amount of fat to really give the onion a boost in flavor. Bacon-y, grilled onions are ready in a jiffy and they add great flavor to many dishes, not just burgers.
You can easily make this meal ahead of time:
- prep the burgers and the Cajun spice mix.
- precook the bacon and onion mixture.
- buy or bake the buns.
- slice the cheese and prepare the other toppings.
- mix up the BBQ sauce.
- store the perishable items in separate covered containers in the fridge.
At serving time, simply cook the burgers on the grill or in a pan and reheat the onion mixture. If you want, you could even precook the patties and simply reheat in the microwave when it’s time to serve.
BBQ Bacon Onion Cheeseburger Recipe
- Divide the ground meat into four equal portions and form each into a hamburger patty. Season to taste with Cajun Spice Blend. Cook the patties over a hot grill or in a hot pan until cooked through, about ten to fifteen minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the onion and chopped bacon. Season to taste with Cajun Spice Blend. Cook, stirring, until the onion is tender and starting to brown and the bacon is crisp, about ten minutes.
- When the burgers are almost done, add a slice of cheese to each one and cook until cheese is melted.
- Place each hamburger patty on the bottom half of a bun. Divide the onion mixture among the patties. Serve with barbecue sauce, tomato slices, and lettuce.
Serve these burgers with the following sides for a fabulous backyard dinner party: