Shredded Beef is one of our favorite fillings for all sorts of sandwiches as well as Mexican dishes. It’s economical because beef chuck often goes on sale for less than $2 a pound. It is also super easy to make because the crockpot does most of the work.
Recipe: Shredded Beef Filling
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 4 pounds (or so) chuck roast or chuck steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-3 Tablespoons water
- In large skillet heat olive oil until shimmering. Generously salt and pepper chuck roast. Add meat to pan and brown well on each side. Remove to the crockpot.
- Add chopped onion to skillet and saute, scraping up bits, until onion is translucent. Stir in chili powder and oregano. Stirring until well combined. Add water to make a paste. Use the larger amount if the mixture is dry. Scrape onion mixture into crockpot.
- Set to low and cook all day, about 6-10 hours. Meat will be extremely tender and easily fall apart. Shred by pulling meat apart with two forks or small tongs. Adjust seasonings. Add some of the drippings to moisten if necessary. Otherwise, save drippings for another use, like adding to soup or making gravy.
- Use shredded beef for tostadas, chimichangas, burritos, tacos, enchiladas and even bbq sandwiches.
- To freeze: Wrap, label, and chill completely before freezing.