Simple Bean Tostadas come together quickly and easily for an affordable meatless meal. You can vary the toppings to use whatever you have on hand.
This is one of our favorite meals! It is an assemble-your-own kind of dish. Feel free to add meat or other vegetables and toppings. But, this way is just simple and good.
Simple Bean Tostadas
- oil for frying the tortillas such as vegetable or olive oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 15-ounce can Refried Beans or homemade cooked pinto beans
- 8 oz cheddar cheese (shredded) (2 cups)
- 2 tomato diced
- 2 cup shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- toppings for tostadas , such as: homemade salsa, hot sauce, chopped fresh cilantro, or other favorite toppings
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. In a small skillet, heat 1/2 inch of oil over medium-high heat until very hot. A small bit of tortilla will sizzle when the oil is ready. Fry the tortillas until stiff. Place the tortillas on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until brown and crunchy, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Warm the refried beans in a saucepan until bubbly.
- Spread the beans over the crisp tortilla shells. Top with the cheese, tomatoes, lettuce, and sour cream. Serve with salsa.