Mix and Match Muffins

Mix and Match Muffins | Life as MOM

Homebaked muffins are hard to beat. Unless you add more sugar and call them cupcakes. They are easily portable and have no need for utensils or even a plate in order to enjoy them.

This Mix and Match Muffin recipe has endless possibilities. Talk about versatility! Mix up the dry ingredients and when you add the wet team, toss in whatever fruit, nuts, or flavorings you have on hand. We’ve tried vanilla blueberry and banana chocolate chip (above) with great success. You can even prepare the baking mix ahead of time.

I was inspired by this recipe in Fine Cooking, but have tweaked it to fit the schedule of a busy mom. Who has time to separate eggs when there’s so much to do on any given day? I’ve also healthified it by substituting plain yogurt for the sour cream and a little whole wheat flour for the white.

A Great Make Ahead

This recipe is great for freezer cooking but also makes a fantastic gift for someone. You are definitely gonna want to mix up several bags of the mix for later use once you taste how yummy these muffins are. Just place all the “dry team” ingredients in a quart or gallon-size ziptop freezer bag and seal.

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. Is there anything you can think of that could replace the yogurt? My husband is lactose intolerant… I can use Lactaid milk for the recipe but I don't know what to swap out the yogurt with.

2. Jenni R. says:

Jolene: If your husband is just lactose intolerant and does not have a milk allergy (issues with milk protein) then he should be able to tolerated yogurt. The lactose is broken down by the bacterial cultures so hopefully he can tolerate it. {Sorry to respond unasked–I am a Registered Dietitian who just happened to see your question!}

3. FishMama says:

Thank you for answering, Jenni. I haven't got to the bottom of my inbox. I was thinking that was the case, but I'm glad to have an RD say so! ;)

4. Thank you! I didn't know that.

5. Hartwigs says:

I made these the other day for my husband who won't eat breakfast unless it's easy to grab. We both like them but both compared them to cornbread. What is it that makes us think that? The whole wheat flour maybe because it's a little grainier?

• Jessica says:

It could depend on the grind of whole wheat flour. I’m not sure; I haven’t had that happen.

• Try using WW pastry flour instead of regular WW flour. It’s a much finer grind. I use WW pastry flour for everything (often without any white flour) and my family doesn’t even notice.

6. Where do you get those muffin cups? I don’t care for muffins without cups because of the hardened texture… I’m wondering if they are cheaper than cupcake muffin cups too. Thanks!

~ Michelle

• Jessica says:

These are actually portion cups that my sister gave me. She promised me they were oven safe. But, I really have no idea. I’ve seen them in the party section of Walmart.

7. Since the yogurt is probably for moisture mainly, I would just use 1 cup applesauce instead of the oil and yogurt. I have a very similar muffin recipe and that is how I do it.

8. I used this recipe for blueberry muffins last night and they turned out very good! My batter was very thick though so I added a little more milk, and I had enough batter to do 18 large muffins. I used half succanat and half cane sugar and sour cream instead of the yogurt, but I think it would be really yummy with vanilla yogurt too! Thanks for the recipe!

9. I know this is an old post, but…. where do you buy your muffin cups? I love those ones. Makes them look like muffins, not cupcakes!

Can you email me on nzkylee@hotmail.com?

10. I was wondering if you think it would be ok to use vanilla yogurt instead of plain??

11. This might seem like a silly question, but where did you get those gorgeous muffin cups. I have been looking EVERYWHERE for them and I can’t find them.

• Jessica says:

They are actually party cups. I’m not sure you’re supposed to bake in them, but the house didn’t catch fire and no one grew a second head, so I think we’re good. I think they’re the kind you serve mints in at weddings.

12. I’ve never been much of a baker, but this recipe looks really easy to make. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to use up all of those cupcake cups that I’ve had for so long! :) And I know my family will thank you!

13. Coming back to say that I made these muffins tonight and they were a huge success! I made it into a fun time with my kids. I filled the cups half way full, then let the kids put in some add-ins, then finished filling the cups. The kids had a blast (including my 3 year old niece) and enjoyed eating their creations. Oh, and my family says thanks!

14. My son has been asking for “vanilla muffins” and I think these might fit the bill. I also LOVE the instructions for making your own mix. That is exactly what I need!

15. Lindsay says:

Is this the measurements for 1 batch?

16. Hey! I know this post is old, but I had a question. If I wanted to make the mix ahead, but wanted to make a smaller batch (I don’t have enough muffin pans to make that big of a batch) what would the portion of the dry mix be? For example, if I wanted to make up the dry mix, and then make a dozen muffins, how much of the dry (all mixed together) would I take out?

17. My family is officially addicted to these muffins. They’re so easy and we love them. Thanks so much!

18. Trying these tonight. Trying to have better breakfast for my kiddo’s besides cereal!!! I also pinned these to my board on Pinterest if you don’t mind! :) Thanks for the fabulous idea’s! :)

19. I was hoping to add frozen blueberries, are there any adjustments I would need to make for the frozen berries?

20. I’m way late to the party but I tried these yesterday. OH MY GOSH THEY ARE SO GOOD!!!

I’m a big muffin/quick bread person, mostly because I’ve really mastered what kinds of subsitutions and alterations I can make to a recipe. This one is fantastic! I used all whole wheat flour, because I always do, homemade yogurt that didn’t set up quite right in place of both yogurt and milk, and my add ins were blueberries, lemon zest, and almonds. Such a moist delicate texture. This one is a keeper!

21. I just made my first batch. These where great, they mad 12 reg sized and 24 mini muffins. I wanted to see how the base recipe was before added anything. They came out of the oven nice and tender.

22. I made these muffins yesterday I used blackberries and rasberries I had in the freezer. They are really good and very moist. I sent home a dozen with my daughter and she called me to tell me that they tasted like it came from the store and if I made it from scratch. “It taste good, just like the store”.

23. The only oil I have right now is peanut oil…is this ok?

• I have never done any baking with peanut oil, so I can’t answer that. I’d be more likely to use melted butter instead.

24. ok just made these..used applesauce and coconut oil in place of yogurt and oil. I added cinnamon and chopped apple,walnuts and oats…..YUM!!!!!!

25. I made 2 batches today. I made a pumpkin and chocolate chip muffins and I had some frozen cranberries in freezer so made cranberries with orange zest and 1 tablespoonful of vanilla. I only had flavored yogurt so I used Keffir instead. They are delicious and moist.

26. I love this recipe and have been making your mix and match muffins for the last 1 1/2 years. I’m now trying to be careful about my sugar intake and would love to replace the sugar with agave. Have you ever tried to and if so, did you have any success?

• Jessica says:

I am going to be making some tweaks as well. I’ve done this with maple syrup, adjusting the other liquids to make sure it’s not too wet. I would imagine you can do the same with agave.

27. Christina Scarce says:

Tonight to use up a couple of things from the pantry, I tried a new combination with your Mix & Match Muffin recipe. Mashed bananas and butterscotch morsels. I think they may be the kids’ favorite combination yet. I don’t usually buy butterscotch morsels, but I bought them for Christmas goodie baskets. Then after buying I realized they contained coconut oil which 2 different families couldn’t eat. The kids will happily eat them up in these muffins.

28. Jennifer Hoffman says:

These were so good!! I freeze our overripe bananas so I just thawed them to add, also used vanilla yogurt. So moist and delish! It made 12 jumbo muffins for me (you really can mound way past the top) I love freezing muffins for a quick grab and go breakfast!