I love browsing in chi-chi food boutiques. I don’t like the prices they charge. So, instead, I’ve chosen to make my own delicious gifts to give to friends and family.
This gift of good taste is one the boys and I experimented with just this morning. We took our standard granola recipe and doctored it up with some fresh orange zest and dried cranberries. Delish!
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 orange , zested
- 5 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 300°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the brown sugar, oil, powdered milk, water, cinnamon, vanilla, salt, and orange zest. Heat until well blended.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats and nuts.
- Pour the sugar mixture over the oats and nuts mixture, stirring to combine.
- Spread the granola on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 40-45 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- Once cool, stir in the cranberries and serve with milk or yogurt.
- Store granola in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.