Best Ever Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Looking for a simple yet flavorful way to cook pork? Combine a homemade rub with a cheap cut of pork and cook it slowly in the slow cooker for a fantastic main protein or filling for sandwiches, lettuce wraps, and tacos.

Best Ever Slow Cooker Pulled Pork | Good Cheap Eats

I think I read somewhere that today is National Last Day of School Day. I think that’s pretty funny, actually. When I was growing up in Southern California with cousins in Minnesota, I knew the disparity among last days of school. Though they had had snow days to make up, my Midwestern cousins still got out by mid-May while we were hitting the books until mid-June. Clearly, there was no official last day of school.

Nonetheless, summer vacations are rolling out all over the country. Now my friends is the time to shift our meal planning to fun food that is easy to make and prime for the season.

Some of my pre-requisites for such are as follows:

• can be made in advance so you can go play at the beach, park, or lake
  • uses the slow cooker or grill so as not to heat up the kitchen
  • is versatile so that it can be mixed and matched; leftovers can take a new identity the next day without any awkwardness
  • invite you to custom the fixings with all kinds of yummy sauces and toppings
  • won’t break the budget
  • fits a variety of diets so everyone can enjoy it

Best Ever Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

This pulled pork fits all those requirements and then some.

Best Ever Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Pork butt and pork shoulder roasts are perfect for summer time. Seems crazy that I’m saying roast and summer in the same sentence, but it’s true. Roasts cook up super well in the slow-cooker which is an ideal tool to use in the summer time. Not only do they save you from heating up the oven, but they can also sit for awhile cooking dinner while you finish galavanting around town.

I look for sales on pork butt or pork shoulder roasts. Recently, they were 50% off at Ralphs. The roasts were huge, making for two meals for our family. I love cooking once and feeding my family twice! This recipe is a great one for bulk cooking. If you don’t want pork twice in one week, just freeze the second half.

(Good to note: we’re a family of 8, so this same size roast would feed a “normal” family 4 times. We never were trying to be normal….)

This custom rub smells so good. I purposely made the spices to go with BBQ as well as Mexican flavors, so the possibilities of how to serve the final product are truly endless. Use the savory pulled pork in tacos, burritos, taquitos, chimichangas, lettuce wraps, salads, and sandwiches.

All the ingredients are gluten-free, making this a great recipe for the Whole 30, paleo, and other gf diets. Just be sure to check your chili powder package. Sometimes they add funky stuff.

Comments

1. The pork looks so tender and soft. And it can be really mix and match easily. It also definitely fits variety of diets. Yummy!

2. We love pulled pork in my family, though my husband always smokes it. We then freeze it in 1-lb packages to pull out for quick and easy dinners. Typically chile verde, gumbo, moo shu pork, or bbq sandwiches in my family. I can see how the slow cooker would be great to finish the pork off during the summer if need be, though since he likes to smoke 4-6 butts at a time, that may have to be reserved for those emergency pork needs…

3. Do you need any liquid with this recipe? None listed although I realize you’d have condensation and fat from the meat.

4. Alice E says:

This looks good. I am new to rubs, but interested in trying them However, I don’t have sea salt and can’t eat black pepper. Would Kosher salt, canning salt or table salt work best? Would you make any other adjustments when leaving out the pepper? Do you think I could use crumbled summer savory leaves? Thanks for any suggestions. I have a couple of pork butt roasts waiting for me in the freezer. Oh, and have you ever tried the leftover pork in chili or with noodles, two of my usual destinations for leftover diced meat?

5. We love pulled pork in our family and use it as a base for a variety of meals as you mentioned. What I would like to know is that a homemade bun in the photo and if so would you share how to make them?

6. I got a screamin’ deal on a pork butt at Fry’s (Kroger affiliate in Arizona) and am making this for my frozen dinner club. Sometimes I let the recipients do the actual cooking, but since it’s such a large piece of meat, I am going to do the cooking, shred it, and let them just heat-n-eat. I’m contemplating making the homemade buns as well. 🙂

7. Cheryle says:

What am I doing wrong? Whenever I make pulled pork in my slow cooker I always end up with lots of grease & meat that is still pink, even though it’s falling apart. If I keep cooking it all of the grease cooks into the meat. I buy the leanest pork shoulder/butt I can & usually it’s boneless. Any tips are appreciated.

• I am not sure. I don’t buy the lean stuff, just the cheap stuff. Sorry that happens to you!

• Cheryle says:

Hi Jessica. Mine is cheap too. Believe me, I only buy it when it’s a really good sale. I just pick the leanest they have. 🙂

• Looking over your comment again. Pink meat is okay if it’s reached a safe temperature. The USDA even lowered the safe level of pork in the last few years. Mine does make a lot of drippings. Thinking about putting it on a rack next time so it doesn’t sit in the drippings? You can make a makeshift rack out of foil if you don’t have one that fits your slow cooker.

• A bit of fat is natural and helps with flavor and moistness. That said, too much is too much. Every slow cooker is different, but try a higher temp. I do like to add a little liquid to help steam meat and ensure even cooking. I lift the lid just once about three quarters into cooking, when meat is cooked thru but still chewy so that I can flip the meat over and get the top half immersed in some liquid. I like to remove done meat, and skim oil from top of the remaining liquid, then either crank setting up or boil the liquid in pan to reduce or stir in some thickener to cook. Wondra flour, corn flour, mashed potatoes, etc.

8. I’m confused by your hashtags, recipes, and photos.. this and many other look like delicious meals, but are not at all whole 30. Rolls? Tortillas? Cheese… even alot of the ingredient lists, the sunflower oils, dairy etc. Again, I’m sure they’re great recipes, but shouldn’t be labeled or promoted as Whole30. For someone like myself wanting to truly meal plan for 30 days, there are way too many mods needed or things that aren’t w30 approved. just some thoughts.

• If I’ve tagged something Whole30, I’ve included modifications either in the headnotes or the recipe itself. The pictures do not always correspond with the modifications. I apologize for the confusion.

9. I made this overnight last night and I just have to tell you THANK YOU! It is absolutely amazing. It is the best pork I have ever made in the crock pot, hands down. I was skeptical because there was no liquid in the recipe, but I went with it anyway because of the comments. I am so glad I did. It is so good. The spices made kind of a crust on it and it’s just absolutely amazing. My store didn’t have any huge roasts so I bought 3 smaller ones to equal about what your recipe called for. Worked just fine. I tried to pick them up and they just fell apart! The meat is so moist and flavorful and not dry at ALL. Just insanely good. Thank you!

10. Margaret Lilley says:

This came out super dry! We ended up using the leftover meat for enchiladas because it really didn’t stand alone. Followed the directions, so I’m not sure what happened.

Thanks for the lovely post…at least I got some great ideas from you. Love the blog, too!

11. Shirley Jaques says:

There is a type-o in the directions – “Cook on low in the slow cooker for 6 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.” It should read “Cook in the slow cooker for 6 hours on high or 8 to 10 hours on low.”

The recipe was great, I had to restrain myself from adding liquids, but in the end it was moist & had great flavor. I’ll make it again.

12. Kay Ross says:

Do I divide the seasonings if my roast is only 2 pounds or do I still use the amount listed for an 8 pound roast? Sorry..I’m new to this cooking thing!

13. Samantha says:

Hello! I’m making this right now, I am new to cooking and have never used ground cloves. The smell of it is terrible to me, as its cooking it is kind of taking over the smell all together. Now I’m worried I put too much on accident or is that normal? Silly question I know! Lol

• There is a distinct odor to cloves, so yes, you would notice it, particularly if you haven’t used it before. I made this this weekend but was out of cloves and I missed that scent. Hopefully, you didn’t put too much. Fingers crossed.

14. Making this for our bible study tonight. It looks and smells awesome! Thanks!!!

15. Courtney says:

I just bought my roast today at a organic farmers meat store, it’s frozen. I want to cook it for tonight, have u ever cooked it in your crockpot frozen? Any tips?

16. I do not like pulled pork with vinegar or barbecue sauce so I decided to try this for a family gathering. It was a huge hit, many comments on how it was the best they’ve ever had! At first I thought all the liquid would make it greasy, but shredding it made it soak in and it was perfectly moist and yummy. Thanks.

17. Best rub ever! I have slaved over making this until now, thanks for sharing! God bless you!

18. Nedra Bryce says:

I made this today! It turn out delicious! It was my first time making pulled pork. Thank you for the recipe.

19. I am making this for the 2nd time today because my “picky eater” husband loved it so much the first time I made it. We are going to a New Year’s Eve party and he insisted that I make this so we could share it with our friends. When he likes something this much, trust me, it must be really good!! I also usually freeze the left overs so we can heat-and-eat whenever we want, but I doubt there will be any left overs this time. Thank you so much for sharing this! It is a hit!!!!

20. Gonna make this sometime this week. I am soooo excited!!!!??? One question, though, I didn’t realize it was supposed to be bone-in so I bought a boneless because it was cheaper. Is there anything different I should do?

Love your recipes. Thanks for sharing with us all!!

21. Can I shred it in the pot for the last hour or will all the grease make it to greasy

22. Chickiewickie says:

I’m about to make this. And I read through all the comments. The one question I don’t see is, fat side up or down? In a regular oven I would do fat side up. Is that the same for crockpot? My normal go-to pulled pork recipe I slow cook in oven, sometimes up to 24hrs!

• Personally, I don’t think it matters in a slow cooker. In the oven we do fat side up to keep everything moist and to flavor the meat with the drippings. The crockpot doesn’t usually run the risk of things drying out. It’s a personal preference, I think.

23. Have you tried using liquid smoke in this recipe? Does is fare well in the slow cooker? If so, any suggestions on how much to use?

Thanks!

24. Has anyone tried this recipe with a pork loin? I have one on hand that I am not really sure what to do with & this sounded delicious!!

25. Hilary F says:

When I read “Best Ever Slow Cooker Pulled Pork,” I’ll admit that I took that as a challenge. But, I always love your recipes so I gave it a try. Wow, that was no overstatement. It is simply amazing!!! I love the spice rub. Many slow cooker roast recipes use seasonings that only make it suitable for one type of cuisisne (Italian, Mexican, BBQ, etc….). But, this us so versatile, I can imagine using it for countless recipes. Thanks again for yet another hit!!!

26. I made it tonight, and everyone loved it! I cut the cloves and cayenne (we are wimps) in half. Perfect seasoning. Boys chose for me to add a little BBQ sauce after it was done and make pulled pork sandwiches. Our pickiest eater declared it the best ever. Thanks!!