My kids love biscuits. Last night they ate a full dozen before I could get dinner on the table! And homemade are so yummy! And so much tastier and healthier than the kind the Doughboy makes — even if you get them for a quarter a can.
While it’s nice to make the fluffy cut-out kind, drop biscuits are much easier and hold much less room for error. This recipe is a great one to make into a mix. Simply combine the dry ingredients in a ziptop bag, mark with wet ingredients to add and baking instructions and you’re ready to whip up a batch at a moment’s notice.
Recipe: Drop Biscuits
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flours, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, combine oil, egg, and milk.
- Fold wet mixture into dry and drop by scant 1/4 cup fulls onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 – 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- You can also freeze the biscuits, baked or unbaked. Flash freeze and store in an airtight container in the freezer. If baking from frozen, increase baking time 5 minutes. Alternatively, bake and cool the biscuits and store them in an airtight container in the freezer.