Bake someone happy this week with these luscious Carrot Muffins with Honey Cream Cheese. They are filling, freezer-friendly, and absolutely delicious!
I’ve been making muffins for as long as I can remember. Muffins were “a thing” back in 1994 when we got married. In fact, I worked in a bakery that sold predominantly… muffins. And among our wedding presents were several muffin tins and a muffin cookbook.
I have lots and lots of experience with muffins. Remember my all-purpose, mix and match muffins? Well, that’s pretty much the only muffin recipe you need. It’s so versatile and as long as you’re not going savory with your muffins, you can mix any flavor combos into it.
(Head here for all my muffin tips.)
A few years ago — about seven, to be exact — I tweaked them to coordinate with the arrival of spring, turning them into Carrot Muffins with Honey Sweetened Cream Cheese. They are so yummy!
Recently, I baked up a batch to surprise the ladies in my Bible study. It was a cold morning, and while we don’t typically have snacks, I thought it would be fun to have muffins and tea. It was also the first morning ALL YEAR LONG that I was with-it enough to do something fun and spontaneous.
I loaded up all the stuff in my car, fended off my children from the carrot muffins and honey cream cheese, and toddled off to CBS. And guess what?
Suzanne was sick. Kathryn and Joy were out of town. Alison had to take her grandpa to the doctor. Barbara was on jury duty. The only people there were my leader Nichole and me! Talk about irony. I had to answer all the study questions on my own! But, I also got to eat all the muffins I wanted.
Which I did without even blinking an eye.
Needless to say, my kids were THRILLED. They ate muffins all the car ride home. Ha!
These Carrot Muffins mix up beautifully and are super freezer-friendly, so if all your friends stand you up, you can throw them in the freezer for another time. 😉
I highly recommend keeping several bags of mix in your freezer. Totally worth the few minutes for abundant rewards.
Carrot Muffins with Honey Cream Cheese
- 3 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup neutral oil
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup carrots (shredded)
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 8-ounce package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup honey
- Preheat the oven to 375 °. Line a muffin tin with papers or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine, the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine the oil, milk, yogurt, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Gently fold in the carrots, walnuts, and raisins until mostly moistened. Spoon the batter into the prepared cups. It’s okay if they are heaping.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Cool on a rack.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the cream cheese and honey. Whip until fluffy with a hand mixer. Serve the cream cheese with the muffins.
Originally posted March 24, 2010. Updated May 9, 2017.