I’ve made this twice in the last two weeks. The guys’ eyes light up when I mention it, so I think it’s officially a winner. I love it for its versatility. Use it as a taco or burrito filling or add 5 cups cooked pinto beans to make a delicious chili to eat alone or in Chili Burritos.
Recipe: Salsa Verde Beef
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 pounds stewing beef (I’ve used both rump roast and chuck), cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa verde* (I like Herdez.)
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add beef chunks and brown on all sides to carmelize. Remove to crockpot.
- Add onion to drippings and saute until lightly browned. Stir in taco seasonings and heat about 1 minute. Add salsa and stir, scraping up any browned bits. Transfer liquid to crockpot. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Note: You can use any kind of salsa. It doesn’t have to be salsa verde, but we like the flavor it adds to the beef.