I hated pumpkin pie until I had this one. Now, I will eat no other. This is the best pumpkin streusel pie EVER.
This recipe is by far the holiday family favorite at our house. Gramma Marilyn made it for our Thanksgiving Dinner back in 1998, and it is a regular on our table every year without fail. Without. fail.
Previously, I had never been a fan of pumpkin pie. Too slimy. But, this pie has a graham cracker crust and a crunchy, sweet, nutty top, which offset the smooth custard and make for a great combination.
Ingredients for this pumpkin streusel pie
- Graham cracker crust – You can buy a store-bought crust, or make a Homemade Graham Cracker Crust
- Pumpkin puree – Be sure to get 100% puree and not the pie filling which has added ingredients and sweetener.
- Sweetened condensed milk – This is what helps sweeten and thicken the pie.
- Egg – Just one large egg!
- Spices – Of course, you always need some spices for a pumpkin pie! I added a combination of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg.
- Salt – A little salt always helps to balance out all that sweetness.
- Brown sugar – I use brown sugar in the streusel. It adds a wonderful caramel, sweet note!
- Butter – You want this cold and cut into cubes and work this into your streusel to create crumbs.
- Flour – Just regular all-purpose flour to mix into the streusel.
- Nuts- I like adding some crunch to my streusel and added in some nuts! But you can always leave these out if there’s a nut allergy.
- Whipped cream (for serving) – Of course no pie would be complete with some Homemade Whipped Cream.
How to make this pumpkin streusel pie
Prep and preheat. Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the pie crust (in its pan) on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
Make the pie filling. In a large mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, egg, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Pour into the graham cracker pie crust. Bake 15 minutes.
Make the streusel. Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar, flour, and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the nuts.
Add Streusel And Bake Longer. Remove the pie from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the pie.
Finish baking. Bake 40 minutes or until set. Cool and then chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
Can I make this pie ahead of time?
I like to make it the day ahead and then refrigerate it. But you could make the streusel ahead of time and freeze it a few months ahead of time.
How to serve this pie for the holidays:
Can I use a pastry crust instead?
You absolutely can. Here is my Easy Homemade Pie Crust recipe. The recipe makes 2 crusts, so you could either halve the recipe or freeze the second crust for another pie. I would recommend blind baking (basically baking it before you put the filling in so the crust doesn’t get soggy.
How I make this a good cheap eat:
The ingredients usually go on sale every fall and aside from the butter, they are all pantry stable, so you can stock up and always have what you need for a fantastic pie.
Streusel Topped Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- 1 graham cracker pie crust
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened, condensed milk
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon divided usage
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoon unbleached, all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon butter cold, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup chopped nuts
- 2 cup whipped cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 425°. Place the pie crust (in its pan) on a baking sheet to catch any drips.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, egg, ¾ teaspoon cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt. Pour into the graham cracker pie crust. Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the brown sugar, flour, and remaining ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in the butter until crumbly. Stir in the nuts.
- Remove the pie from the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the pie.
- Bake 40 minutes or until set. Cool and then chill in the refrigerator for several hours.
- Serve the pie with whipped cream.