This Spicy Chicken Dip is out of this world. Creamy, cheesy, spicy, and full of tender chicken pieces, this dip will please kids and adults alike.
I think this dip may become one of my new infatuations. I keep making it. I keep dreaming of making it. I keep thinking about how to use it as a hot pocket filling come fall and as a quesadilla tomorrow. I have a feeling, you might catch the infatuation. But, that’s okay. It all tastes good.
You will be shocked and amazed at how simple this appetizer is to make. My Spicy Chicken Dip recipe contains just a few ingredients: cooked chicken (great use of leftovers), cream cheese, cheddar cheese, hot sauce, chopped green onions, and cilantro. Mix that all up, cook in the toaster oven/big oven, serve with chips. (I think you could probably heat it in the slow cooker or the microwave, but I haven’t tried that yet.
The last time my friend Jessika was here, she and I ate a whole pan of it ourselves. The kids were a little miffed that we didn’t save them any. Spicy Chicken Dip is your ticket to all kinds of potlucks and parties this year, my friends.
I can’t take all the credit. I first tasted this at Trader Joe’s back at the sample corner. It was the first time that something so weird looking had me going back for more. I didn’t think to grab one of their recipe cards, so I don’t really know how they made theirs. I noticed the bottle of their hot sauce on the counter, but that’s all I know. My guess is that they used canned chicken because that would be way easier. Use leftover chicken, cook it up special for this, or buy a rotisserie chicken next time you’re somewhere where there’s a rotisserie.
I’m 95% sure that this dip will freeze prior to baking, but a batch has never lasted long enough at my house for me to test that theory. Apparently, I need to make it this week!
Also of note, if you check all your ingredients labels carefully, this dish should be gluten-free, opening all kinds of options for deliciousness to your GF friends and neighbors.
Spicy Chicken Dip
- 2 cup chicken (cooked and shredded)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1 9-ounce bag tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven or toaster oven to 400 degrees. Grease an 8-inch pie plate.
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green onions, and hot pepper sauce. This goes really easy in a stand mixer.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the prepared dish and bake for 15 minutes until hot and bubbly. Sprinkle cilantro over the top before serving with chips.
- The dip can be prepared in advance and stored in the fridge until ready to bake, up to 2 days.