Got blueberries? Then you’ll got a great breakfast treat in store. Since I’m building menus based on what I’ve already got in the freezer or cupboard, I decided that a little berrymaking was in order. I have a huge bag of frozen berries from Costco ready to be put to good work.
We’ve made smoothies several times this summer and now these are going to be a repeat attraction, thanks to the baking mix I whipped up the other morning. I prefer to make my own baking mixes rather than buying them from the store. I’m practically bereft without a few bags of pancake, muffin, waffle, or cornbread mix on hand.
The nutmeg adds a little spicy warmth without overpowering the blueberries. These muffins mix up quickly and freeze beautifully after baking. So, go make a batch — or two.
Recipe: Blueberry Nutmeg Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 batch Mix and Match Muffin Mix
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 350 °.
- Line 2 12-cup muffin cups with muffin papers.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the buttermilk, oil, and eggs. Whisk until well blended.
- Add the muffin mix, nutmeg, and blueberries.
- Fold just until combined.
- Divide the batter amongst all 24 cups.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a tester comes out clean.
- Cool the baked muffins on a wire rack.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12