These Easy Lemon Cupcakes may start with a box, but they get zing and zip from yogurt and lemon added to the mix. They are simple and delicious!
I confess. I’m not the best plain from-scratch cake baker. I can do carrot cake and zucchini cake and banana cake like nobody’s business. Even pumpkin cake. But cakes that don’t have added fruit or veg in them. Somehow that’s hard for me.
I’m hoping to reform my ways soon, now that I have this book, but in the meantime, my family prefers it when I buy a box. True story.
I call it cake cheating.
But, over the years, I’ve realized that doctoring up a cake mix makes me feel a little better. I can add butter, yogurt, sour cream, and extra flavorings to elevate a regular old cake mix and feel like I’m putting a little more effort into the experience.
These Easy Lemon Cupcakes may start with a box, but they get all dressed up with yogurt and lemon zest. Take them over the top with some of this Lemon Buttercream Frosting. Yum!
We are almost on the eve of the FishMama Trifecta. Mother’s Day, our anniversary and my birthday, fall in a 19-day period this year, with a kid birthday in the middle of it. June brings two more kid birthdays and Father’s Day, so you can imagine that we’ll be eating a fair amount of cake!
Our May Birthday Boy has already requested these easy lemon cupcakes — baked into cake form. If you want to do the same, just adjust the baking time, according to the directions on your cake mix.
These tools make this recipe EASY:
- USA muffin tins – these pans are AMAZING!
- unbleached parchment muffin papers – LOVE these.
- microplane zester – a wonder. I’ve had mine for 15 years!
Easy Lemon Cupcakes
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup neutral oil
- 3 egg
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1-2 batches Lemon Buttercream Frosting optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 °. Line 2 muffin pans with cupcake papers.
- Combine the cake mix, yogurt, water, oil, eggs, and lemon zest in a large mixing bowl. Blend 2 minutes with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cupcake papers. Bake according to package directions. Cool completely on a rack.
- Frost cooled cupcakes with lemon buttercream, if desired.
Make these cupcakes extra fun with these Mother’s Day Cake Toppers!