Make pizza night easier and quicker than a run for takeout with this five-ingredient pita pizza recipe.
We have pizza about once a week. It’s one of our family’s favorite “fun foods” and a great way for us to enter the weekend. While I usually make the pizza dough from scratch, there are some days when I just don’t wanna.
Instead of buying take-out or frozen pizza, I’ve found a wonderful alternative that works very well for us and one that only calls for five ingredients.
Pita breads stand in for crust; the sauce is a mashup of canned tomato sauce and a seasoning blend; add your cheese and pepperoni. Voila – five ingredient pita pizza!
I set this recipe up as a pizza bar. My kids have varying ideas of what constitutes “enough” toppings. Since the pitas are rather personal size, they can make their own without any trouble.
Ingredients for these easy pita pizzas
You can really customize these how you want but here are the basics to get you started:
- Pita breads – This is what makes this a quick and easy dinner. But you could also use french bread like we did with Pesto and Tomato French Bread Pizza
- Pizza Sauce – Use storebought or make this a good cheap eats and make your own Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese – Buy in a block and shred it yourself to save yourself money
- Pepperoni – You can swap this out for any of your special toppings, like olives, peppers, onions like our Homemade Supreme Pizza Recipe
- Seasoning – I’m partial to Jamie’s Spice Mix and usually keep a jar on hand. But, you can also use Trader Joe’s 21 Seasoning Salute or Costco’s Organic No-Salt Seasoning. I’ve done it all ways and love it.
How to make these 5 Ingredient personal pita pizzas
Prepping this meal takes less than 30 minutes from start to finish. It’s almost like getting take-out, but it tastes better and you don’t have to get into the car. Simply layer on the toppings and bake. Easy pizza.
Preheat the oven to 475.
Lay the pita breads out on baking sheets. Spread tomato sauce, to taste, over each round. Season to taste with the seasoning mix. Sprinkle on cheese and pepperoni as desired.
Bake for 8 minutes or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted and browned in spots.
Pita Pizza topping variations
- Ham and pineapple – diced ham and pineapple (or switch it up and use bacon!)
- Supreme – Top with peppers, onions, mushrooms, and olives
- Make it spicy! – Add some pickled or fresch, sliced jalapenos
- BBQ chicken – swap out the tomato sauce for bbq sauce, and use some chicken, bacon, and pineapple like we did in our BBQ Chicken Pizza with Bacon & Pineapple
How to make this cheap:
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. Whether it’s pita breads, cheese, pepperoni I stock up when things are on sale. you can always freeze everything until you’re ready to use, making it easy to stock up.
- Shop Costco. Costco has the best price on shredded mozzarella. I buy the big five pound bag and divide it into smaller bags to store in the freezer.
Tools I use to make this recipe:
- A pizza wheel – I have a Pampered Chef pizza wheel that has lasted me over ten years.
- parchment paper – I hate washing pans. Parchment paper makes clean up a breeze.
- sheet pans – I LOVE my set of steel sheet pans.
- a Pizza Cutter – a pizza cutter or pizza wheel make quick slices in your pizza.
- Preheat the oven to 475.
- Lay the pita breads out on baking sheets. Spread tomato sauce, to taste, over each round. Season to taste with the seasoning mix. Sprinkle on cheese and pepperoni as desired.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted and browned in spots.
- Serve immediately.