Enjoy this filling, yet easy and refreshing bean salad this summer.
Bean salads are a perfect addition to summer suppers. Not only are they typically served chilled or at room temperature helping you avoid a hot kitchen, but they are super filling so that you know folks won’t be hungry ten minutes after supper’s concluded.
My husband loves this salad. I made it earlier this week and he enjoyed it as an afternoon snack as well as with dinner. Many of you have been asking about the recipe since I posted a picture of it alongside our Drunken Brats and Caramelized Onions.
This salad can be made with cannellini or great northern beans. If you buy them canned, you’ll have a super quick fix ready to go.
White beans are delicate, so be sure to stir gently. This side dish is simple, yet packed with flavor and fiber. It’s also a great make-ahead if you’ve got more time in the morning than you do at suppertime.
Recipe: White Bean Salad
- 2 (15-ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion (such as Vidalia)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place the beans, pepper, parsley, and onion in a large salad bowl.
- In a small jar or bowl, place the vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cap the jar and shake, or whisk to combine. Add the oil, and shake or whisk again.
- Toss the salad with the dressing, folding gently so as not to break up the beans. Adjust the seasonings and serve.
- Make-ahead: The salad can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4