I didn’t enjoy pumpkin pie as a child. I have no idea why. When my mother-in-law made this streusel-topped pumpkin pie, I fell in love. I didn’t think anything else could take its place.
The kids were a little skeptical when I said that I was making a pumpkin cheesecake. They love pumpkin pie, and they love cheesecake. They figured that the parts were better than the sum of the parts.
But, now they are believers.
There’s enough cheesecake in this dessert to justify its cheesecake status. Likewise, there’s enough pumpkin and spice to make it pumpkiny. As my tween would say, “It’s like a pumpkin pie and a cheesecake got married. This is their baby.”
Or something like that.
Regardless, it is delicious. Great for dessert, even better for breakfast the next day. Or lunch. Ask me how I know.
Recipe: Pumpkin Spice Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about one packet of crackers)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- Two 8-ounce packages neufchatel cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- one 15-ounce can pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and the melted butter. Stir well to combine.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Bake the crust for 8 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and set on a rack.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in the pureed pumpkin. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Mix in the vanilla extract, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Pour the batter into the prepared crust.
- Bake the cheesecake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until set in the center.
- Cool the cheesecake for 15 minutes on a rack. Carefully run a knife around the
- edge of the cake. Remove the sides of the pan and allow the cake to cool to room temperature on the rack. Chill the cake for several hours in the refrigerator.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12