One favorite summer recipe of mine is Pesto Pizza with Feta and Tomatoes. Basil, tomatoes, garlic, and that salty bite of Feta? Oh yeah. I’m there.
I’m pretty much the only one in the house who eats it, but there’s a good chance that I can win my girls over to such a froofy pizza. Ya think? But, for now, I’m happy to have it all. to. myself.
Love that Pizza Night
Every week we have pizza, usually on Fridays. Most of the FishFam prefers sauce, cheese, and some kind of meat. Until I get a really good deal on “healthy” pepperoni (if such a thing exists), I plan to top most of our summer pizzas with chicken or sausage. I usually make a Jalapeno Burn each week which FishPapa, FishBoy12 and I split. Then, might make a cheese pizza or one of these babies that I eat all. by. myself.
Yes, yes, I do.
This recipe has its roots in my college days when I lived with a family from church. They introduced me to the wonders of Costco and Trader Joe’s. Back then, Trader Joe’s sold prebaked pizza rounds, like Boboli, but way better. (Like, they tasted good.) I don’t know if they still sell them. This was considered a “TJ’s meal” as all the ingredients could be purchased there. Back then, that was a big deal. Trader Joe’s now offers a much wider selection of items. You can still do that or buy the ingredients elsewhere.
This pizza is just bursting with summer flavors. I just planted six basil plants and two tomatoes so I’m hopeful that my pesto will be homemade and my tomatoes homegrown this summer.
Pesto Pizza with Feta & Tomatoes
- 1 12-inch pizza dough
- 1/2 cup pesto
- 1 roma tomato, seeded and diced
- 8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 cups)
- 2 oz feta cheese crumbles (1/2 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 475 degrees. Spray a 12-inch pizza pan or screen with nonstick cooking spray. Fit the pizza dough into the pan, stretching to fit.
- Spread the pesto sauce across the dough to cover. Distribute the tomato chunks across the pizza. Sprinkle the cheeses over the top.
- Bake the pizza for 8 to 9 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is crisp. Remove to a cutting surface to slice. Serve immediately.