Homemade Gravy for Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes

Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes, and Homemade Gravy make a fantastic freezer-friendly meal! These recipes will please your whole family.

Homemade Gravy for Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes

One of my favorite dishes is Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes. It may seem crazy and complex, but considering that all the components can be made ahead and frozen, it can definitely be a delicious weeknight meal no matter the season.

Simply make a bulk batch of meatballs, a big vat of gravy, and a large pot of mashed potatoes. Divide them into dinner-size portions, chill, label, and freeze. Super easy and so fun to pull out on a night when you want something homey and comforting, but don’t have it in you to stand at the stove.

Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes is also an economical dish. With potatoes selling for about $1-$1.50 for ten pounds, you can easily make up a batch of mashed potatoes for less than $1, accounting for butter, cream cheese, and seasoning. Recently I bought ground beef for $1.49 a pound, making a dinner’s worth of meatballs about $2 after adding eggs, spices, and bread crumbs. Add in a vegetable and you definitely have a good cheap eat.

Dinner for 4 for about $5!

The Meatballs

Make up a batch of meatballs, bake, cool, wrap, and freeze in meal size portions. You don’t need to thaw them before reheating, making this an ideal dinner for the night your plan doesn’t go according to plan.

I’ve got a few favorite Meatballs variations:

Homemade Gravy for Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes

The Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes go pretty quickly around here, but when I take the time to make a lot, I’m always thankful I did! The best mashed potatoes for the freezer are the ones that contain a good amount of fat in the way of butter, cream, cream cheese, or sour cream.

These are the best for freezing:

For making fresh:

And of course…

The Gravy

The gravy is the best part out of all this! While my husband is not a gravy fan, I’m proud to have raised enough gravy fans among my six kids to justify making large vats of gravy. It’s so simple, and really pulls together the meatballs and mashed potatoes.

Want the 411 on freezer cooking? Check out the Ultimate Freezer Cooking Collection of Tips and Tricks.

Or pick up a copy of my book, Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook for over 200 recipes and 10 freezer cooking plans to help you fill the freezer, eat well, and save money.

Are you looking for more good cheap eats?

About Jessica Fisher

Comments

1. Nancy says:

It's 6am and this sounds sooo good! I better include it in my next menu plan. 🙂

2. Tanya says:

YUM!

3. Connie says:

Freezer mashed potatoes and meatballs are a staple around here. Such an easy thing to prepare and can be served so many ways.

Yum!

4. Anonymous says:

Those look yummy. Alas I'm the only meatball eater here so that would never work.
    ~Micha

5. twinsz says:

I made this last night. Yummy!! The gravy was the best. I used the dill and one of my kids was liking it up off his plate. Thanks for the recipe. I will be making this again.

6. Christina says:

This looks delish!

7. Trippy Momma says:

this sounds awesome! I'm thinking about doing some freezer cooking (for the first time ever). I was wondering what you freeze your mashed potatoes in. Is there something that you can take from freezer, to fridge, straight to oven??? that would be handy.

8. FishMama says:

I put the mashed potatoes in a baking dish. Dot with butter, wrap and freeze. Thaw and bake to serve.

9. This is an awesome meal! Cheap and hearty! Thanks!

10. Amy says:

What size baking dish do you use for your mashed potatoes? I’m making a ton of your recipes this week!

• Jessica says:

Meal size. Whatever is the right size for your family.

11. Lisa Hetherington says:

How long do you need to reheat meatballs/what temperature if you are reheating them from froze?

Thanks!!

…Lisa

12. amber says:

I love this recipe just made it and it came out wonderful! My family loved it so awesome.

13. Paula says:

Making more of these today! I’m very thankful for you, Jessica, and all others who take the time to try these things out and post ’em so I have meals ready and more time for my family! Thanks!

14. nicole says:

I am going to use your gravy recipe tomorrow night with dinner!! Thank you

15. Rosemary says:

I’d love to know your meatball recipe. You gave the recipe for the mashed potatoes and gravy, but not the meatballs. I have everything I need and I’m ready to try it out asap. Sounds like a fun alternative to meatloaf.
    Rosemary

16. DEANNA says:

Hello,
    I was wondering how long everything is good in the freezer for- I usually date my stuff but I like to have an idea of when I need to use it by.

Thanks for the great recipes and ideas !! 🙂

17. Ellen says:

How much gravy would you need to have enough to freeze for the 4 lb. of meatballs? I’m assuming just one batch wouldn’t cut it.

• Jessica says:

@Ellen, You would need to quadruple the gravy to match the 4# of meatballs. I use the meatballs with a variety of sauces, so I don’t always make the large batch of gravy.

18. denise says:

great recipe mine turned out great and instead of tyme or dill seed I used minced garlic…yummy!
    thanks for the recipe

• Jessica says:

Always glad to hear!

• Linda Chen says:

Thanks for the tips and the recipy.

19. Kris says:

Made the meatballs and a batch of gravy today. I froze some of the gravy and meatballs together in lunch size containers for my husband. He’s been scrounging lately for lunches due to my lack of summer cooking. I figure even if he takes bread to dip in the gravy it’s better than the pathetic pickings we’ve had lately. I also have 3 containers of meatballs in the freezer for dinners.

• Jessica says:

@Kris, that sounds so good right now. Glad to hear that it worked well.

20. ray says:

I just made this for dinner tonite. It is amazing the meatballs are so juicy and tasty I used fresh herbs and the gravy taste really good. I put garlic in my water when I boiled the potatoes. This is definately a keeper.

21. Carla says:

We saved this meal for last night as my husband is running in the Memphis marathon on Saturday and I figured it would be a great carb loading meal (we added wheat rolls to the mix). Unfortunately I didn’t have time to do my own meat balls (Kroger has great frozen turkey meatballs) but we finally got to try the gravy I made earlier in the week. Yum. The guys will probably never let me get away with store gravy again! 🙂 Everyone was happy after a night of martial arts practice.

22. Jade says:

Ah this sounds amazing! After all said and done and cooked, how much gravy does this recipe make? Thankyou! Making tonight anyway!

• Jessica says:

It makes about 2 cups of gravy.

23. Dee Taylor says:

Hi there! I enjoy following your posts, your recipe ideas are great! I have a quick question about baking the mashed potatoes that you freeze, then thaw to bake. Do you cover these with aluminum foil when baking in the oven, or just bake them uncovered? Just wondering! Thanks.

• Jessica says:

It depends on if they’ve thawed completely or not. I don’t want the tops to dry out before the inside is hot. Dabbing them with butter helps prevent that. If it’s fully thawed, go ahead and bake uncovered. Otherwise, do half and half.

24. Linda Chen says:

I think that meal looks delicious.

25. Janet says:

This sounds so good right now. We are home from school today with a fresh 6 inches of snow on the ground. But what a difference a few years makes in prices! Good quality ground beef is running around $6.50 a pound around here these days and I just bought 5 pounds of potatoes on sale for a $1 — such a low price the store was limiting it to four packages per customer.

Trackbacks