Homemade chocolate buttercream frosting comes together easily and tastes so much better than the canned variety.
I was a little late to the cupcake craze. But that’s okay. Still tastes just as good.
My littlest one chose cupcakes for her birthday last week. The older kids were astounded: What do you mean? She’s not going to have a cake?!
Still tastes just as good.
My sister and the girls baked the cupcakes. I made the frosting. I’ve shared with you my Homemade Buttercream Frosting which is pretty awesome. The Girl wanted chocolate though. So, I did what any smart mama would do: I stuck to my old standby, but mixed in 1/2 cup of cocoa.
Oh my. Heaven on a spoon. That stuff was pretty darn good.
This frosting comes together very easily — and it’s so much tastier than what comes in a can! Plus, it’s real food.
It frosts about 18 cupcakes.
Recipe: Easy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3-4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1-2 Tablespoons milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (you can use mint extract, too, if you’d rather)
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until fluffy. Add three cups sugar, cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon milk, and vanilla extract.
- Beat until combined and fluffy.
- Adjust with more sugar or milk, depending on what consistency you’re looking for.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): frosting for 18 cupcakes