One night a few months ago, my meal plan didn’t go the way I, well, planned it. I checked the fridge and cupboards and concocted this amazing sandwich from bacon, onions, mushrooms, and Brie cheese. Amazing.
As I was munching, I realized how Hobbit-like this meal was: good bread, a few rashes of bacon, onions, mushrooms from Farmer Maggot’s farm, and of course, some rich cheese. I dubbed them Samwiches, in honor of Samwise Gamgee.
We’ve enjoyed it again and again since. This is not your standard grilled cheese sandwich. It is so delectable. You’ll want to curl up in a nice corner with this sandwich and a copy of The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings and just pretend you’re a hobbit.
(Yes, I realize that Brie is French and hobbits are clearly English. Use cheddar if you prefer, but the Brie melts so lovely in here, I’m happy to make exceptions.)
The leftover bacon and onion mixture, if there is any, is fantastic with eggs or to top a steak.
Host a Hobbit Dinner next week for the release of the film! And I don’t mean going to Denny’s. Blech. I don’t think any Hobbit worth his salt would visit that establishment.
We are going to make a family affair out of it and take all the kids to the cinema, something we only do a few times each year. Before and after we’re going to be enjoying some hobbity food, including Samwiches, of course.
My plan is to post a full Hobbit menu throughout the month of December, featuring a Hobbit’s favorite food and drink: cake, bread, potatoes, bacon, sausage, mushrooms, cheese, pickles, eggs, coffee, tea, and ale, of course. Feel free to offer your suggestions in the comments.
In the meantime, go make up a round of Samwiches!
Looking for more bright ideas to get dinner on the table? My latest cookbook is here! And it’s designed just for you to make dinner quickly, easily, and affordably.
You can beat the clock without breaking the bank. And you’ll eat well too.
Recipe: Samwich: Bacon and Brie Panini with Mushrooms and Onions
- half pound bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, sliced from stem to root end
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 tablespoons freshly chopped herbs, can be one kind of a mixture: dill, tarragon, rosemary, thyme, oregano
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- butter, optional
- 1/4 pound Brie cheese, sliced thinly
- In a large skillet, heat the bacon, onion, and mushrooms. Cook on medium high for about 15 minutes until the bacon starts to brown, the onions are clear, and the mushrooms are tender. Stir in the fresh herbs. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Heat a panini press or griddle.
- If using a griddle, butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Assemble sandwiches, butter side out, by layering cheese and bacon mixture between two slices of bread.
- Cook in press or on griddle until toasted on both sides and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 4