I love a recipe that you can customize with all sorts of different flavors. And these Farm-style Oatmeal Cookies are that kind of recipe. Today I filled them with anti-oxidants in adding dried blueberries, dried cranberries, and dark chocolate chips. Make them Red, White, and Blue by subbing in white chocolate for the dark.
Bake them to eat right away, flash freeze the dough for later baking, or freezer the baked cookies for quick snacking later.
Recipe: Cranberry Blueberry Oatmeal Cookies
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried blueberries
- Heat oven to 375°. In large mixing bowl combine sugar, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. Stir in remaining ingredients. With wet hands, shape dough into 2-inch balls. Dough will be sticky. Place about 3 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten each cookie with the bottom of a glass dipped in water.
- Bake until set and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove to cookie sheet and cool.
- To flash freeze, place cookie dough balls on greased cookie sheet that will fit in your freezer. Freeze until firm. Remove to ziptop bag and return to freezer for up to 3 months. Bake according to directions, adding up to 5 minutes baking time.
Yield: about 2 dozen