You’ve heard the saying before: necessity is the mother of invention. It is so true. And necessity spurned this hot cocoa recipe. Not only were we out of traditional cocoa mix, but I also did not have enough powdered milk to follow this Alton Brown recipe exactly. So, I improvised.
That’s code for: I used whatever I could find in the cupboards.
It ended up that I had malted milk powder. Works for me! The malt and the spices combine with the chocolate for a delicious hot treat. Top it with whipped cream or marshmallows if you like.
We love this cocoa mix and intend to keep a steady supply on hand throughout the fall and winter.
Malted Hot Cocoa Mix
- 2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cup powdered milk
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup malted milk powder
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients until evenly mixed. Store in an airtight container.
- To serve: place 2 to 3 Tablespoons of the cocoa mix in a 6-ounce mug. Add water. Stir to combine. Serve hot.