Budget meals were a regular part of my upbringing. My parents both grew up in families where money was tight. They knew what it was to pinch a penny.
Curried Potatoes were a staple in our diet. When we had fried pork chops, curried potatoes were always the featured side dish. Always. Always.
I had no clue that other people had applesauce with their pork chops. Curried Potatoes are what you’re supposed to have. And they are quiet easy to make.
Recipe: Curried Potatoes
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 Tablespoons curry powder
- salt and pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil until shimmering. Add the potatoes and toss to coat. Stir in the curry powder and season the potatoes to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan with a lid or a sheet of aluminum foil. Stir the potatoes occasionally while they steam. Cook until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes, possibly longer.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking, stirring occasionally until potatoes develop a crisp crust on the outside.