Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes and Gravy

Meatballs, Mashed Potatoes, and Gravy are super freezer-friendly. These recipes will please your whole family.

One of my favorite dishes is Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes. It may not seem like the ideal summer dinner, but considering that all the components can be made ahead and frozen, it can definitely be a delicious addition to the hottest of summer nights, especially when served with a tall glass of lemonade and maybe a scoop of sorbet for dessert.

Meatballs and Mashed Potatoes is also an economical dish. With potatoes selling for about $1-$1.50 for ten pounds, you can easily make up a batch of mashed potatoes for less than $1, accounting for butter, cream cheese, and seasoning. Recently I bought ground beef for $1.49 a pound, making a dinner’s worth of meatballs about $2 after adding eggs, spices, and bread crumbs. Add in a vegetable and you definitely have a good cheap eat.

Dinner for 4 for about $5!

Meatballs – Make up a batch of meatballs, bake, cool, wrap, and freeze in meal size portions. You don’t need to thaw them before reheating, making this an ideal dinner for the night your plan doesn’t go according to plan.

Meatballs 3

Serve Meatballs over Mashed Potatoes with Gravy and steamed vegetables as a side.

Want the 411 on freezer cooking? Check out the Ultimate Freezer Cooking Collection of Tips and Tricks.

Would you rather subscribe by RSS?

Comments

1. It's 6am and this sounds sooo good! I better include it in my next menu plan. :)

2. YUM!

3. Freezer mashed potatoes and meatballs are a staple around here. Such an easy thing to prepare and can be served so many ways.

Yum!

4. Anonymous says:

Those look yummy. Alas I'm the only meatball eater here so that would never work.
    ~Micha

5. I made this last night. Yummy!! The gravy was the best. I used the dill and one of my kids was liking it up off his plate. Thanks for the recipe. I will be making this again.

6. Christina says:

This looks delish!

7. Trippy Momma says:

this sounds awesome! I'm thinking about doing some freezer cooking (for the first time ever). I was wondering what you freeze your mashed potatoes in. Is there something that you can take from freezer, to fridge, straight to oven??? that would be handy.

8. FishMama says:

I put the mashed potatoes in a baking dish. Dot with butter, wrap and freeze. Thaw and bake to serve.

9. This is an awesome meal! Cheap and hearty! Thanks!

10. What size baking dish do you use for your mashed potatoes? I’m making a ton of your recipes this week!

11. Lisa Hetherington says:

How long do you need to reheat meatballs/what temperature if you are reheating them from froze?

Thanks!!

…Lisa

12. I love this recipe just made it and it came out wonderful! My family loved it so awesome.

13. Making more of these today! I’m very thankful for you, Jessica, and all others who take the time to try these things out and post ‘em so I have meals ready and more time for my family! Thanks!

14. I am going to use your gravy recipe tomorrow night with dinner!! Thank you

15. I’d love to know your meatball recipe. You gave the recipe for the mashed potatoes and gravy, but not the meatballs. I have everything I need and I’m ready to try it out asap. Sounds like a fun alternative to meatloaf.
    Rosemary

16. Hello,
    I was wondering how long everything is good in the freezer for- I usually date my stuff but I like to have an idea of when I need to use it by.

Thanks for the great recipes and ideas !! :)

17. How much gravy would you need to have enough to freeze for the 4 lb. of meatballs? I’m assuming just one batch wouldn’t cut it.

• @Ellen, You would need to quadruple the gravy to match the 4# of meatballs. I use the meatballs with a variety of sauces, so I don’t always make the large batch of gravy.

18. great recipe mine turned out great and instead of tyme or dill seed I used minced garlic…yummy!
    thanks for the recipe

19. Made the meatballs and a batch of gravy today. I froze some of the gravy and meatballs together in lunch size containers for my husband. He’s been scrounging lately for lunches due to my lack of summer cooking. I figure even if he takes bread to dip in the gravy it’s better than the pathetic pickings we’ve had lately. I also have 3 containers of meatballs in the freezer for dinners.

20. I just made this for dinner tonite. It is amazing the meatballs are so juicy and tasty I used fresh herbs and the gravy taste really good. I put garlic in my water when I boiled the potatoes. This is definately a keeper.

21. We saved this meal for last night as my husband is running in the Memphis marathon on Saturday and I figured it would be a great carb loading meal (we added wheat rolls to the mix). Unfortunately I didn’t have time to do my own meat balls (Kroger has great frozen turkey meatballs) but we finally got to try the gravy I made earlier in the week. Yum. The guys will probably never let me get away with store gravy again! :) Everyone was happy after a night of martial arts practice.

22. Ah this sounds amazing! After all said and done and cooked, how much gravy does this recipe make? Thankyou! Making tonight anyway!

23. Dee Taylor says:

Hi there! I enjoy following your posts, your recipe ideas are great! I have a quick question about baking the mashed potatoes that you freeze, then thaw to bake. Do you cover these with aluminum foil when baking in the oven, or just bake them uncovered? Just wondering! Thanks.

• It depends on if they’ve thawed completely or not. I don’t want the tops to dry out before the inside is hot. Dabbing them with butter helps prevent that. If it’s fully thawed, go ahead and bake uncovered. Otherwise, do half and half.

24. I think that meal looks delicious.