Make a quick fix dinner of sausages and potatoes topped with an herbed sour cream sauce. This sausage and potatoes recipe is super versatile, allowing you to mix up the herbs with what you have on hand.
Our month in France was pretty fabulous. I finally finished posting the story of our European vacation, and I’m dying to go back. We had some great adventures as a family — and ate some fabulous meals.
Since we had access to a kitchen for almost all our time in France, I got to go shopping frequently in french grocery stores and figure out how to make food I knew my kids would eat. While they did expand their horizons, there were requests for burritos and burgers from time to time.
One of the items most frequently in my grocery basket were chipolatas. Similar to an Italian sausage in flavor yet the shape of breakfast links, we enjoyed these sausages often in Collioure and in Paris, usually with boiled potatoes and a salad.
When we had lunch with the Benoits, Jen prepared a beautiful feast for us with grilled chicken, sausage, and potatoes. She added this delicious sauce on the side. I’ve been quizzing her from afar so that I could add it to my own repertoire.
Jen makes it with fromage blanc, something similar to our sour cream.
This supper is super simple, but so delicious! It comes together quickly in less than 30 minutes. If you can find new potatoes, use those so you don’t have to peel them. Mine have been growing eyes faster than I can use them, so I’ve been peeling.
Keep an eye open for sausages on sale and stock the freezer when you find a good price.
Ingredients for sausage and potatoes dinner
- Baby potatoes
- Italian sausage links
- Sour cream
- Seasoning (salt, pepper, and cayenne)
How to make sausage and potatoes
- Cook the potatoes. In a pot of salted boiling water, you want to cook the potatoes in 20 minutes.
- Prep Ingredients. In a nonstick skillet, add the sausages and enough water to mostly cover. Cook until the sausages are cooked through and the water has started to evaporate. Continue cooking the sausages until they’ve browned lightly.
- Make Sour cream sauce. Meanwhile, stir together the sour cream, herbs, onion. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and pinch cayenne.
- Serve it up! Serve the potatoes and sausages with the sour cream sauce on the side.
Helpful tips for making this sausage and potatoes dinner
- Use potatoes you have. If you have large potatoes you can use those. Just be sure to quarter them. Or if you have small ones, those work as well!
- Cook until fork tender. You want to make sure to boil the potatoes until they are fork tender. This will take about 20 minutes and you want to be able to pierce them easily with a fork.
- Season to taste. We used a combination of salt, pepper, and cayenne. But if you don’t like things spicy then you can omit the cayenne. Or add more if you want to kick it up a notch!
Variations to this sausage and potatoes dinner
- Use whatever potatoes you have. Red, small, Yukon. Whatever!
- Make it low carb. Use cauliflower instead of the potatoes.
- Make it lighter. Use greek yogurt instead of sour cream.
- Try a different sausage. No Italian sausages? Try chicken sausage, smoked sausage or turkey kielbasa instead.
What goes with sausages for dinner?
Of course you can serve this with just the potatoes and sourcream sauce. But you could also pair this with a salad. Like a fresh garden salad, or this Quick and Easy Caesar Salad Recipe. Or try with Roast Vegetables.
How to make this good and cheap:
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. Sausage is the big ticket item in this dish. Stock up when you see a good sale.
- Shop at Costco. When I did my big grocery store showdown, I learned that Costco has the best price for a lot of the things I buy, including Aidell Chicken and Apple Sausage. Costco can really save you money if done right.
Tools I use for this recipe:
Sausage and Potatoes with Sour Cream Sauce
- 2 lb baby potatoes scrubbed or large potatoes, cut into quarters
- 8 Italian sausage links
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (chopped)
- 1 tbsp onion chopped
- black pepper
- pinch ground cayenne pepper
- In a pot of salted, boiling water, cook the potatoes until tender, about 20 minutes.
- In a nonstick skillet, add the sausages and enough water to mostly cover. Cook until the sausages are cooked through and the water has started to evaporate. Continue cooking the sausages until they’ve browned lightly.
- Meanwhile, stir together the sour cream, herbs, onion. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and pinch cayenne.
- Serve the potatoes and sausages with the sour cream sauce on the side.