Start the morning right — with cookies! Bake all the goodness of whole grains, oats, dried fruit, and nuts into a portable breakfast cookie.
My husband leaves for work before most of the household is awake. He grabs a cup of coffee and a Balance bar and hits the road. While good sales on protein bars are possible, I am on the hunt to find a more economical, yet still sustaining option.
I took my Trail Mix Cookies and tweaked them a little recently. I even experimented with coconut oil, a first for me. The result was a super tasty cookie. They taste too good to be healthy. So, I need to revisit the ingredient profile and make sure.
Whole wheat pastry flour can usually be found in the bulk section of your health food store. If you can’t find it, you can substitute unbleached or whole wheat flour.
I bake these in big batches and stash them in the freezer so that we have breakfasts made in advance. Check out this breakfast freezer cooking plan that includes these cookies. Spend a morning in the kitchen and have a month of breakfast to freeze.
Take your freezer cooking to the next level with my cookbook Not Your Mother’s Make-Ahead and Freeze Cookbook.
Your purchase helps support this site. Thanks so much!
- ½ cup honey
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup applesauce
- 2 egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup rolled oats
- 1 ½ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup flax seed meal
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line baking sheets with silpat mat or parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine honey, sugar, and applesauce. Blend well. Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- In a second large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, flax seed meal, dried cranberries, chocolate chips, pepitas, sunflower seeds, nuts, baking soda, and salt. Stir well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and stir until well combined.
- Drop the batter by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake 10-15 minutes or until set. Cool on rack.
- Store cookies in an airtight container.