Apples cook in the oven with brown sugar and spices, making for an easy delicious breakfast or dessert compote.
I’m on this little mission to make our meal prep easier and quicker. I love the process of cooking, but some days are just crazy with homeschooling (FIVE students this year), running kids to piano or hockey or science, keeping up on housework, and then of course, writing and cooking.
One way that I am streamlining the process is to teach my three older boys (14, 11, and 9) to do some more independent cooking. This has been met with fairly positive reactions. No one grumbles when I call him to the kitchen to watch a demonstration — unless the game is on — so I think we’re on the right track. They love to eat and want to know how to cook.
Another technique I’m utilizing is to convert into oven or crockpot recipes those that might have called for me to stand by at the stove. So, bacon and fried chicken are getting baked in the oven instead of the frypan. The same goes for our favorite sauteed apples. This recipe met with rave reviews when I first made it last week and has been requested several times over.
Amazing that it is so simple and yet so good.
Apples are tossed with melted butter, brown sugar, and spices and baked in the oven. The result is tender spiced apples perfect to eat on their own or to top pancakes or oatmeal for breakfast. They’d also be wonderful atop a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a simple and gluten-free dessert. Booyah!
This past weekend, I prepped 10 pounds of apples for this purpose to make ahead and freeze. (I used this thing to help me do it quickly!)
Then, I combined the mixture of apples, sugar, spices, and lemon juice in ziptop bags and tossed them in the freezer. Now, I can pull out a bag at night, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight, empty the bag’s contents into a baking dish in the morning, dot with butter and then let it bake while I take a shower or tackle some other morning task.
If you don’t want to use your prepped and frozen apples for compote, you could also use them to fill a pie shell or puff pastry.
Recipe: Oven Baked Apple Compote
- 8 medium apples, peeled, cored, and chopped (I used pink ladies)
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup butter or ghee, cut into cubes
- Preheat the oven to 450 °. Grease a baking pan.
- In a medium bowl combine the apples, lemon juice, sugar, and spices. Stir well to combine. Dot with butter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the apples are soft and the juices bubble.
- Serve immediately or chill until ready to serve. Compote may be stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Preparation time: 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 25 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8