Enjoy a light lunch, side salad, or appetizer with this Simple Romaine Salad with Cranberries and Feta. It’s easy, make-ahead, and absolutely delicious.
This summer I’m trying something new for me. I’m eating only when I’m hungry. I know. Newsflash, right?
Well, I realized that I often eat because it’s there, not because I truly need nourishment. It’s been an interesting experiment to eat when I’m hungry and not just because. Likewise, I’m trying to focus on lighter meals that don’t leave me far too full. Comfy/content/enough are my targets.
Since I believe that family meal times should be respected as a moment of connection with my people, I don’t think it’s okay to skip meals or ignore the dinner hour because it might not coincide with my hunger pains. My meal planning, therefore, has included lighter options so that I don’t reach “I’ve eaten too much” status.
This Simple Romaine Salad is one that perfectly fits the bill, a favorite salad of mine that couldn’t be simpler to prepare.
I love salads because how easy and versatile they are. They are a fantastic meal for summertime when it’s just too hot to heat the oven. And they rarely make you feel like you’ve eaten more than you should. This Simple Romaine Salad works as a light lunch, an appetizer, or a festive side salad.
Need help to build a better salad? Read the basics to making a great salad and customize your salads to your tastes and pantry.
Simple Romaine Salad with Cranberries and Feta
- 1 head romaine lettuce washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette try this one
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 oz feta cheese crumbles (½ cup)
- ½ cup sliced almonds toasted
- ¼ red onion sliced
- In a large salad bowl toss together the romaine and balsamic dressing. Divide this mixture among four salad plates.
- Divide the cranberries, feta cheese, almonds, and red onion among the four plates. Serve immediately.
To make for meal prep:
- Divide the lettuce among four dishes with lids.
- Divide the cranberries, feta, almonds, and onion among the four dishes.
- Divide the dressing into four small containers with lids.
- Refrigerate the salads and dressings until ready to serve.